Which PG materials to use

I’ve been ordering PG materials to have a decent amount of stock on hand, and I was wondering which products you use for plywood and which products you use for hardwood. I primarily create jewelry but am working on expanding to include small decorative items for the home. Also, would there ever be a case to make items for customers out of draftboard?

2 Likes

Besides PG materials, I use primarily Baltic Birch from my local Rockler, and Lauan ply (“underlayment”) from Lowes.

4 Likes

I would not use draftboard or the various plywoods using daftboard, but that is just me. I have seen others using it a lot. There are times when the stability of plywood makes it the better thing to use especially with large areas as there is a limit how wide the wood available is and very thin wood edge glued is difficult to say the least,

Any deep engraving can be done with some plywoods, but most will look awful so not good there. Small pieces like jewelry can be more fragile where the wood is subject to warp or splitting, So some thought is needed there. Sometimes the direction of the grain can make a big difference.

2 Likes

My favorite ply when engraving is Baltic Birch or carefully chosen oak, where “revolution” and “luan” plywoods have outer plys thinner than paper and really ugly underneath.

1 Like

I :heart: acrylic. It cuts so nice, and there are some very nice colours.

2 Likes

I´ve seen beautiful work cut in veneer/MDF from @raymondking32

1 Like

I’ve made some pieces with clear acrylic that turned out great, but ooh boy the smell LOL!

I actually really like Draftboard when I want to do a bit of detail coloring. Draftboard takes colored pencils really well:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.