Whimsey

As much as I enjoy practical cuts (YAPP), I escape the ordinary from time to time and make stuff that’s purely fun and challenging, definitely not in the catalog category….and certainly not anything that I’m likely to use even for myself.

Buttons;

I don’t sew anymore, so really have no use for them but they ended up being tiny works of art and whimsey…and if I do ever need an emergency button replacement, I can sure make one. I’m going to be mailing these to a woman who creates fiber artwork and clothing. The whimsey in these is that though they take little skill to make, they are really fun and fancy in the end. Some of these are standard 2 and 4 hole buttons. The others have a shank on the back…press fitting into a slot without glue which does present as a dark colored rectangle on the front…thus the challenge of creating something that incorporates that as seamlessly as possible. Scored, engraved, and cut earlier on my basic from scraps of PG medium cherry….colored with paint pens and some, like the big 2” owl, finished with resin.

Tiny, adjustable art easel;

It’s 6” tall and made with the Aura and light basswood plywood. Really too tiny and quite fragile. The tiny artworks (2") on it were also made with the Aura, magic canvas, and hand colored. It’s Arctic cold here in Oregon right now and too cold to vent my basic. I winged it on the proportions, but it turned out OK. Not sure what kind of bee got into my bonnet for such an idea….lord knows I don’t need another tchotchke sitting around. I love all the geometric shadows that were cast when I photographed it.

This is a very shrunk down version of a B/W photo of my parents in 1932

And below…tiny magic canvas images;

51 Likes

ooh, love the tiny pictures and easle!

18 Likes

I love these bits of whimsey and color. Thanks for sharing a little cheer in a rather bleak winter landscape.

16 Likes

Love the buttons, but that easel and mini pictures!! Oh my!! Those are great!

17 Likes

Sometimes you just have to give in to the “creativity bug”. I love your results. I especially like the looks of the buttons. Your friend, the fiber artist, is very lucky to be the recipient of your whimsey.

14 Likes

Tiny easel is super cute!

12 Likes

Nice work girl!

It’s that creative slant we are all afflicted with. You’ve come far Padawan! :wink: :kissing_heart:

12 Likes

Too cute!

Nicely done!

10 Likes

By the look of your work, we should all strive for a bit of whimsey! Love the easel and all the artwork.

12 Likes

Your colorful buttons look like lots of fun. When I first saw them I didn’t realize how small they are. Thats some fancy painting. :blush:

13 Likes

Love the buttons! I need to start trying the painting of little things. They look so much brighter than plain wood. That window sill makes it look so much like selling street art I want to engrave a block wall to go behind it.

To make patterns looking like walls of wood or stone that you can engrave this has always been helpful to me.

11 Likes

I love the tiny artwork. Years ago I discovered that postage stamps could be tiny artwork worth framing. I had a hallway in one house that glorified stamps.

Thanks for the inspiration, I’m going to revisit Magic Canvas with some ideas.

16 Likes

Yes…this!

10 Likes

I actually never would have thought of this. You might have inversely inspired me, now!

13 Likes

Love the creativity! The buttons, easel, and artworks are all so cool!

8 Likes

All of thee are amazing!

8 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous! The 3D resin on the buttons is fabulous. I particularly like the amber and turquoise looking one :slight_smile: The tiny masterpieces are just that! Je l’adore!

7 Likes

The easel is a great idea, love the pics with it.

5 Likes

Just looking at them all made my whole day!

4 Likes

Those buttons are adorable, and I love your bold coloring. But that tiny easel: please, please tell me it’s going in the catalog! You know I’m a sucker for anything tiny.

8 Likes