Whisky Stones

Just got my Glowforge in the mail today and can’t wait to use it. Have tried to look around the forums to see if Whisky stones can be engraved with a logo or lettering but can’t seem to find the answer. Anyone able to help me out ?

1 Like

Are these actual stone? If so, depending on the type of rock, yes some of them can be marked.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=engraving%20on%20stone

2 Likes

Like any Stone sure go for it. As long as they’re less than about 1.8” across you should be able to.
Now the trickier part: will lasering them change their taste? That I can’t answer but I’d be cautious.

4 Likes

They’re usually soapstone - which I can’t find a lot of specifics on, but definitely worth trying! The one listing I found said 100% power, 50% speed - which doesn’t translate exactly to the :glowforge: but might get you started :slight_smile:

http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

5 Likes

Likely you’ll need to remove the crumb tray and set the stones up on blocks to ensure the height is OK, since if they’re like my whiskey stones, they are too thick to fit on the tray directly… I’ve played with etching marble, but hadn’t thought of doing the stones!

And always better to start with lower power and work up–but if you don’t have “scrap” stones to test with, be sure you have a good jig or markers so if you have to pick the stone up to check the design, you can put it back exactly where it was, and reprint–nor move the artwork in the GFUI!

Tried it on the setting and did three passes and the stone surface just crumbled and you can’t see the engraving in there what so ever ! :frowning: any other tips to make it work?

Try a different material. Not all will produce good results when engraved.

1 Like

Soapstone would not be a great material to use, it is very soft. You might even make wood stencils and run a sharp point like a needle file back and forth and round and round and end up deeper than the Glowforge would manage in marble, an engraving tool would leave a wider cut.

Mine appear to be granite or similar. I’ve never tried to engrave them, they are speckled and would not hold any detail.

Granite is a bunch of different crystals that each has different properties and each would need different settings :crazy_face:

I’ve seen granite whiskey stones that were definitely laser engraved. It would probably have to be a pretty uniform color to look ok.
I’ve also seen whiskey stones made out of all kinds of rock. Some would be more suitable than others. The stainless steel whiskey cubes would probably get you the clearest image if you use cermark (or a similar laser marking agent)