White Ribbon Cable Recall?

Coming up on 4 years here (Dec 2017) and the cable looks as new as others shown above. I just wiped my finger across it and got a little bit of soot.

I think the problem stems from people using this hobby-grade machine for commercial purposes. It was designed with a 2-yr lifespan for hobby use. Mine has now doubled my expectations.

3 Likes

When the laser cuts stuff, it doesn’t turn it all in to smoke. Some of what it generates is carbonized dust, which is fairly abrasive. So depending on what you cut and your cleaning regimen you might have more or less wear on moving/sliding parts as a result.

3 Likes

I have cleaned appropriately based on the manual and I have never used solvents or anything harsh. (definitely NOT acid or anything remotely close). This is my second laser. That’s pure wear.

And yes I completely agree. I completely admit I was taken in by the pro-entrepreneur marketing. I wish I had purchased a better laser. I’ve been freelancing for 11 years now to accommodate our 11 year old son’s therapy schedule (he is on the autism spectrum). I wish I had done more research but I hate that I’m in this spot as a mom right now.

I cut rubber and wood. That’s it. And I clean twice a day. Rubber and proofgrade wood should be a no-brainer and are both listed in the FAQs.

Add me to the list of long-time owners with no problems with the white cable. I’ve had my glowforge for 4 years, 2 months.

3 Likes

Is it still working? Question now is how to keep it working until either a repair, replacement or other solution. Maybe line the gantry–surfaces the cable rubs against–with teflon tape or something like that to help decrease the friction between the cable and the gantry. And even cover the worst parts of the cable with electrical tape?

2 Likes

That was my first thought-there was something used to clean it that caused some damage…

1 Like

No, I haven’t touched it besides basic cleaning with a small vac. Nothing harsh or chemical at all and zero liquids besides lens wipes for the lenses only. I have zero desire to stupidly introduce harsh chemicals to expensive equipment in my studio much less even my kitchen’s countertop. Again, this is not my first laser.

Provided the cable has still got continuity and the issue is only that some conductors are exposed, covering them with Teflon (or Kapton) tape is a good suggestion.

4 Likes

Any experience with UHMW? That’s what I am currently considering.

I didn’t even know what that was until I looked it up. But Teflon and Kapton I have in ample supply. :slight_smile:

UHMW comes in sheets. Can you laser cut it?

UHMW is used for a wide variety of applications, so it’s available in a variety of shape formats tailored for those applications. I have a supply of tape that I recommended using as a protective guard, which would work well as a replacement insulation in this situation.

Yeah. But can you laser cut it? :slight_smile:

It looks like it has properties similar to Delrin. I cut Delrin all the time, but the combustion byproducts are especially unhealthy so I’m always on the lookout for a less toxic alternative…

I’m going to apply the UHMW this morning so I will let you know. I very much appreciate that idea from one of your previous posts.

Well it’s on there! We will see if it holds. UHMW is pretty cool stuff!

1 Like

The format I use for this application is a tape. No cutting required, at least not with the Glowforge.

It’ll hold. I’ve had it installed in mine for over a year.

Oh wow. Do you use it on any other portion of your machine as well?

I use it on the black and white ribbon cables, and to cover the circuit traces on the carriage plate assembly that run directly under the rear wheel springs.

2 Likes