Who says size matters?

Messin around with acrylic engraving

Scott Daniel

50 Likes

Really nice!

2 Likes

Awe, thanks!

Would you be willing to post a photo of the png that made that engrave? I am curious to see the spectrum of white to black.

2 Likes

Inverted:

11 Likes

You can also look for Depth Map, CNC png’s, or CNC Map etc…

You will find lots! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow! Thanks. I appreciate it. I assume you just used vary power setting. The engrave turned out nicely! It does say a lot, mostly all good!, about glow forge!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Vary power and lowered the max to about 20. I used 270 lpi, but if I do this one again I will bump that up a bit to get the lost details in there.

3 Likes

Thanks!

You’re wecome!

9 Likes

Yup!
I have found several nice pieces there.
lion-x224x82 IMG_20181020_125940

7 Likes

I have done this bamboo one! :blush:

3 Likes

Gosh, that came out way nicer in acrylic than I would have expected. You are inspiring me to give it a try!

4 Likes

I think it looks better in acrylic than on hardwood. Great results!

3 Likes

Nice! :sunglasses: 3D laser prin - Ok… fine.
The dynamic power ramping mapped to shades of grey is almost magical to me, but that I guess is a reflection of my age because Computer Numeric Control amazes me still. I have had the best time of my creative life learning this tech.

I love this platform designed around ease of use for those like me who choose to jump in with both feet knowing nothing about it (their target market), but now I derive a great satisfaction from the success of a new design challenge - especially after slogging through the testing to match my vision. With experience you begin to get a ‘feel’ for where to start.

Playing with acrylic, I engraved an image of Jimi Hendrix without inverting it and was disappointed with the negative that resulted - until I shined a flashlight through it onto the wall, and there he was! :no_mouth:
It’s probably the exploration that I have enjoyed most.
I owe many thanks to the help and work of the community here for my degree of success. :heart:

Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

7 Likes

Think this might make a nice lid on a box. Very nice engrave!

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

I have been saving the small piece of “green glass” acrylic I have for something special, so this is great inspiration to step up from the fairly “flat” images I’ve worked with so far.

2 Likes

The good point is that it doesn’t have the burn that we normally need to clean up from the wood!

1 Like