Who says you can't etch / engrave metal with the GF? I just did! Well, sort of, lol

Thank you. Totally bookmarked this for future use.

7 Likes

And, welcome to Glowforge bookmark # 192.

7 Likes

On? or used?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Looks good!
If you keep the bath agitated or brush the metal gently with a soft paint brush while it is etching you won’t get so much bubble tracking around the resisted areas.

20 Likes

I knew some of you must have experience with this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Btw, you guys can also see where the lines are not perfect, and that is from the paint having bled under the tape, and me removing it with my fingernail was really not good enough; it needs to be super clean.

2 Likes

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the process. I can see lots of applications.

3 Likes

So, if a Sharpie resists the acid, you could just draw a picture straight onto the copper and etch it? Cooll!

Hang on, that method wouldn’t need a Glowforge! D’oh!

7 Likes

So, you put the copper piece in the GF? Did you have any trouble with the copper reflecting the laser beam? Hmmmmm…

You might want to do a google search on Edinburgh Etch–there are additives you can add to your etching bath that will smooth out the etch and speed up the operation. At least, that has been my experience.

Thanks for sharing your process!

14 Likes

Don’t believe so; seemed to scatter off instead of reflect back…but the surface was scratched up to begin with, instead of being a mirror finish…

4 Likes

Note to self, steel wool on the metals.

3 Likes

That is super inspiring. Definitely a highest score in my post rating system. Want to make it. Now I know what to make for my 200 subscriber goal on YouTube. If ever. Lol.

11 Likes

Wow, that’s a real honor, thank you!

4 Likes

Oh, forgot to mention…I listed this as a tutorial in the Laser Matrix. :wink:

If you guys are going to write-up tutorials though - put them in the Tips and Tricks holding tank. If I happen to miss them out here in the main forum, they will rapidly disappear forever into obscurity.

3 Likes

Wow, thank you! And will do, going forward…

2 Likes

I am MIGHTY!!!

3 Likes

Btw, it feels good to give to others…can’t wait to see what you guys do with this!

4 Likes

It really does!

2 Likes

I wonder if you could do the inverse? Spray paint the whole surface and the laser off the paint. Or do you think the copper would reflect too much of the laser?

3 Likes

The way @nunzioc did it is going to be faster and it uses a lot less laserin’.
I might suggest cutting the openings over size and then running a vector score around them after spraying the resist and before pulling off the tape/frisket. That way you avoid any issues with pulling off the resist when you pull off the tape, and you don’t get smeary edges from resist seeping under the tape.

11 Likes