Why does my svg file change size after I upload it?

Has anyone had this problem? I am VERY new to Glowforge and creating files for projects. I use AI and made sure my “project” fit exactly on the board size I was using in my Glowforge, however, when I uploaded my SVG it was a lot smaller than it should have been? I’m sure it’s something simple I am missing probably when saving it!?!?

If anyone can help me I would REALLY APPRECIATE it! :slight_smile:

I can’t say specifically what your issue is, but there’s a lot of info about this out there.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=illustrator%20scaling%20problem

There are lots of ways scaling can go wrong, but it depends on exactly how you’re uploading, saving and or/copy/pasting into the UI.

1 Like

TY so much!

Also, if you make your art board 12" x 20" they programmed in an override that will always scale things exactly as created. Even once you’ve fixed your scaling settings it’s worth getting into that habit :slight_smile:

Plus, then you can easily layout what will actually cut on your board (the ~19x10.5 or so) within the art board’s space.

3 Likes

In AI I have my artboard set to the same size wood I am using in the glowforge so I could fit everything within it on the glowforge. My artboard and the wood are actually 19.5 x 9. So I’m still not sure. I love this community though! It’s awesome to have input buy every one! I’m hoping one day I will be the one giving advice… LOL!

2 Likes

You need to do as @deirdrebeth suggested and make your document 12" x 20". Making it the size of your material won’t work.

2 Likes

I use AI and i almost never use SVG. 98% of the time i just copy/paste from AI to the dashboard. the only exceptions are when the file is ridiculously complicated (like thousands of nodes in a file i got from somewhere else) or if i’m having trouble with an embedded image. and then i save as PDF. i’ve never had an issue importing a PDF.

7 Likes

I did not realize I could do that. I will def try!!! TY

2 Likes

one thing to note is that it will always paste in as “pasted design” for the name. it’s always helpful to rename them so all of your designs aren’t called “pasted design.”

3 Likes

Totally worked! TY again! I still have a couple things to fix because it made 2 passes on some of the pieces when it was only set for 1 pass. I’m thinking it has to be in the design. Can’t wait to post a pic when I’m finally finished! I actually made some stamps with your setting and they came out great! So thanks for that too!

2 Likes

Check your stroke position in AI, if it’s not “center” GF will cut that line twice. Welcome to the fun :grin:

1 Like

You can set your art board to the 12x20" size, then pull guides onto it for the 9x19.5" board size to help you organize your cut pieces within the board space. Just another way to go around the issue!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.