Why does the interface say it's printing "Preparing your print" instead of the name of the project?

I’ve been cutting some keychains using a catalog file I got for crowdfunding this incredible machine. For some reason when I cut these, the GUI says it’s cutting “Preparing your print” instead of Multi-
Shape Keychain Blanks like it used to. I’m using Firefox and I’m thinking maybe I should use Chrome?

I’m also having some issues with my machine not cutting through proofgrade material, so I’m using manual settings for cutting and proofgrade settings for engraving. I’ve followed all the instructions for cleaning the machine, even though I don’t think I’ve done 40 hours of cutting.

TIA for any suggestions!

3 Likes

Some of us have been wondering the same thing…

Hmmm, guess I’ve only ever noticed it saying “preparing your print” as most often I just upload my files & images and not catalog designs.

But for your cuts, be sure the material is flat against the tray & not warped in anyway. I lot of sheets of PG medium ply in my last order were warped. Magnets and/or the hold down pins (pattern in the free pattern section) are great!

Also clean the lenses (more frequently than 40hr interval can’t hurt, and pending material, is a must). Dirty lenses will affect the laser. Also clean the camera & light bars.

1 Like

Don’t forget to clean the lens under the left side of the rail. I missed it and had issues that went away with a quick wipe down. At first I thought that the only required cleaning was on the print head. Hope this is it, as it’s an easy fix.

2 Likes

To answer the first question, this seems to be a bug that popped up after one of the more recent updates (within the last week to two weeks).

It should say preparing to print Your Filename That Was Uploaded.

1 Like

Yes, that’s one of the lenses! It is mentioned in the GF guide, but also on other threads, as it is easy to miss.

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out. Regarding the “Preparing your Print” message, we’re seeing this too and the team is looking into it now. There’s no need to use another browser.

As for your prints not cutting through, I’m sorry to hear about that.

To cut successfully, there are three important things to check. First, your material must lie flat. This requires a clean, properly installed crumb tray and flat materials. Second, there must be no obstructions, dirt, or damage preventing the laser light from reaching your material. Third, your design must be set up properly - for example, with lines that are fully on the material and that are set to cut. It’s hard to know which issue might be affecting your print, but if you follow the instructions in the cut-through troubleshooter, we’ll be able to get to the bottom of it. If you see a step you’ve already done, feel free to skip it.

Once you’ve inspected and cleaned, please try another print. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on that Proofgrade Draftboard and let me know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let me know the date and time of your print and send photos of the front and back of the print.

1 Like

Thank you for your response, vee. I’ve cut out some of those hold down pins and will clean all the lenses and optics again. The design was a catalog design that I’ve cut before, on proofgrade material and definitely set to cut. I’ll follow all of your suggestions, thoroughly clean everything and let you know if I’m still having any problems.

2 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.