Why is my acrylic warping / melting?

It seems pretty obvious that it’s probably because of the temperature…
but is there another reason why this acrylic would “bleed” on the sides?
With this same print, the middle was being engraved and it made it warp… perhaps b/c it’s so thin?

The heat from the laser will warp acrylic and incorrect settings causes “crazing” on the edges. What acrylic is this and what were your settings?

2 Likes

Could be that it’s extruded instead of cast acylic?

2 Likes

.080 cast acrylic, 230/full - but for the engraving setting, i used medium acrylic proofgrade settings and changed the height to .080
I did notice when i added masking tape, it didn’t give me as much “craze”

1 Like

Did you have the back of it masked? I see a pattern that looks like the honeycomb of the bed.
You can just lay your material on a piece of paper or cardstock to prevent flashback.

2 Likes

The settings for Medium Proofgrade are used for material that is 0.125" thick, not 0.08" thick. If that is the correct thickness for the acrylic, then you are using the wrong settings for it…the default proofgrade settings are going to melt it, and might cause a fire.

2 Likes

Same material, i’m using 175/80 to cut with cardstock underneath but still getting some craze -any ideas? Oddly enough it’s now in the middle rather than the sides

in the end, you have to decide how much of the mess you’re willing to tolerate and how much work you want to do to avoid it. the best way to avoid all of that is to mask (well, and to make sure you nail the settings and aren’t running too high power/low speed; i.e., just enough to cut through).

if you want it perfectly clean, you’ll likely need to mask or take the time to clean by hand afterward.

for the ear savers, personally, i’m more worried about speed and production. i’ll do what i can to clean, but as long as surface stuff comes off, i don’t really care as much that it’s got a really pretty surface. but that’s just me and i’m trying to produce as many/as fast as i can.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.