Why is the Rum Always Gone?

My guess is these custom engraved shot glasses aren’t going to help solve it. :slight_smile:

Just finished a special order for a friend. Six laser engraved shot glasses. I decided they needed a home if they were going to live on his boat. So I designed and built a custom holding case* to keep them safe. Image on top is his boat. Hope he loves it.

*My very first box.

Mats:
Dollar Store “Dessert” Glasses. They come 3 to a pack for $1.00. Nice and thick and take to laser engraving very well.

The box was made from scratch from Baltic Birch 1/8". If you haven’t used the free resource of https://boxdesigner.connectionlab.org/ yet, and want to make boxes… yeah, it rocks.

The words on the glasses are his own design he sent to me via text message jpg attachment.
I converted to svg.

It says:
“Stolen From Sailing Vessel Moment’s Notice” :smiley:

50 Likes

You did a great job on the glasses and the box. I am sure your friend will love it.

2 Likes

Yes, very nice!

“But, why is the rum gone??” (in my best Jack Sparrow accent)

2 Likes

I like the non-masked effect for this on the dividers, too. Makes 'em look old…

3 Likes

Thanks. The dividers were “fun”, had to do them 3 times to get the size right.
But all in all, I learned something and I think in the end it was worth it.

1 Like

Terrific project! Dollar store glasses turned into a million bucks! Nice!

2 Likes

How can he not love it! Great job!

2 Likes

My experience is that a custom engraved gift involving liquor imbibing will always be appreciated and put to regular use! :joy: I’m sure your friend is no exception and he and his friends will enjoy them!

4 Likes

The finishing on the box is great for life on a boat, but considering their home shouldn’t the shot glasses have life jackets?

3 Likes

Love the “stolen from” that’s great!

3 Likes

It this is a present for your friend——I would include a note that reads “If our friendship ends this gift has to be returned!!”

Love the box and glasses!!!

3 Likes

Well… he wouldn’t let me just give him the glasses as a gift. He insisted he pay for them.
The box however, is a gift from me that he is unaware of. :wink:

1 Like

Cool! What are the dimensions on the glasses? Looks like a tight fit in the GF.

So, the shot glasses are 2 3/4" tall. The mouth of the glass is 1 3/4" high, while the bottom of the glass is 1 1/4" high. I nestle them into a sandbag that sits on the bottom of the forge. I have a focus height of 0.500. So, they fit. :smiley:

5 Likes

Nice, and I like the choice of font. How did you engrave on a curve?

It was actually from an image. My friend had hand drawn his own font. :slight_smile:
As far as the curve goes… trial and error… you test a couple and get a sense for where your drop off zone is. The laser will go around a slight curve, but not too much, or you loose it. I have to be very clear with my clients right now that I have my limits as to what I can engrave on glass. That “may” change in the future, but for now, I will push my beautiful GF as far as I can. :wink:

1 Like

Love the box! What a great surprise!

3 Likes

The box is a perfect gift, and I love the rustic look.

2 Likes