Why it is a good idea to level your print bed before doing a 3D print

Fixes air prints because if the encoder is not seeing movement. No movement means not filament being pass thru and active gantry means airprint. The PEI has completely solves the part coming off the bed issue. With that combo no airprints.

1 Like

Your encoder rides behind the nozzle? I am not sure what you mean. The extruder is happily pushing filament along (movement) and the nozzle is happily melting it and laying it down. Just laying it down in the air, or beside the part, etc. The other day I had a belt decide to slip (no idea why, never before/since but whatever) on the Y-axis, and so my part had a 1cm shift to the side. A whole lot of air printing happened. But there is no way, short of a machine vision camera looking at the part being printed, that anything could detect the failure. filament was certainly moving, just not where I want. It’s like having your dog knock your sprinkler, the sprinkler is still watering as far as it knows, it’s just now pointed at your open convertible instead of the lawn…

I’ve had prints quite happily come off the PEI bed, just depends on what materials you print in. Nylon is meh on PEI, PETG is OK, nGen can be “too good” and PLA and PLA/PHA are perfect.

3 Likes

Two classes of airprints.

1. Part comes of the bed and you extrude a picasso. < PEI

2. Filament stops extruding and you print nothing. The machine runs for hours laying no filament down. < Encoder.

As for miss steps. Closed-looped FTW. But the gantry I designed and the speeds I’ve been printing at I’ve yet to see issues.

Anyway- The point is I got sick of the issues and engineered a solution that works for me. Had no issues since.

3 Likes

Went for the scorched earth approach (again) – clean install of S3D and ran the config helper. For the first time ever, it’s working a smooth as silk. Mechanical hypochondria – acts up until I talk to a doctor! :nerd:

Thanks for the consult!

12 Likes

A full plate enable hand can take 24 hours to print. I’ll stay up watching a pork shoulder or brisket smoke but I won’t stay up all night watching a 3D printer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I think it’s unfair that 3D printers don’t need babysitting.

4 Likes

Yup – Raptor Reloaded @ 140% with a 0.4mm nozzle is a 30 hour job (which is why I now print with a 0.6mm nozzle).

1 Like

My Roboxs have most of this built in. 9 point bed mapping. AC powered PEI bed sheet. Filament detection - realtime. If the filament stops moving, the printer attempts to fix it. If it can’t fix it, it pauses the print and cools off the head. The only thing it doesn’t do is monitor for airprints where the part gets knocked over. I haven’t had a print fail due to bed adhesion in a very long time. Lightly sanded PEI is wonderful. No coatings, no mess, just wait for it to cool and the print pops off.

2 Likes

Sure you weren’t trying to 3d print a tribble? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I am guess you more often print in PLA? I’ve certainly found lots of materials I print in that don’t stick awesomely to PEI (like nylon 910 or Bluprint really doesn’t stick), so then you end up coating on top of PEI, which always affects later prints as it’s hard to get it totally off. I’ve taken to printing more exotic stuff on my glass bed (borosilicate) on my E3D BigBox since I have more control over the coatings (mostly use the Wolfbite coatings for each material). But even so you will have adhesion issues (heck Thomas Sanderlader and Angus have adhesion failures too, so it’s really just part of the game). I also have 9 point leveling on the BigBox and 4 point on my Taz6 in the lab, but still…

You really can’t with the length of jobs; a long laser job is still < 1 hour. Not saying they shouldn’t be monitored, just not practical for those of us who do really long prototyping jobs. The longest print I’ve done in the last 2 weeks was 59 hours, maybe the shortest was 2.5. Pretty hard to monitor anything for that long (plus don’t really want to stay in the printer room for that many hours and breath amphora fumes).

3 Likes

I use mostly PET, though I use PLA, ABS, nylon, PMMA, and several other exotics. PEI works like a dream for most prints, though on occasion I have to switch to a special high-adhesion build plate, a GeckoTek, for long prints with certain high-warp materials.
Sand your PEI with 320-400 grit sandpaper. Alloy 910 will pull the binder out of the PEI if you aren’t careful. I prefer GeckoTek NY plate for nylon though. The HT plate works well for HT and XT.
I haven’t opened my BluPrint reel yet.

Adhesion issues are really not something I think about unless I am working with ABS or parts with really small contact areas. 99% of the parts I print I just lay them out and hit print. I check the first layer to make sure it looks good and then I stop worrying about it.

2 Likes

Yikes that bone must have got in the way ?..lol

That is the rack (as in rack and pinion) of a sternal retractor (the thing we use to open your chest for surgery) that warped during print (no idea why, subsequent prints worked fine, well obviously after reconstruction of my printer) and actually had high enough adhesion over the rest of the part to split the carriage in 2 and tear the bed off the heater, but after that popped off… Never had a nylon part do this before or since, but man, nylon always wins…

2 Likes

wow the nylon will withstand the retraction part of the retractor ?..I thought they were all made in stainless…Ima dummy…but I learnin.

The are generally (and have been since Dr. Finocchieto patented it in the early part of the 20th century. We were experimenting, since we had some really novel ideas on reducing rib fractures and some other complications, but first needed an experimental platform (and 3D printing nylon is way easier than steel). If I had a dollar for every colleague who scoffed as “it will just fall apart if made of plastic…” I’d be rich. Ugh. I first pointed out that nylon is stronger than the patient. They didn’t believe me, so I took one of the blades (3D printed on my BigBox) off the retractor and did this:

Then we autoclaved it and repeated, to show that even that didn’t degrade the part.

14 Likes

Hahaha suhweet…I knew nylon was tough…used it all the time at work…but was just curious about the shear effects in the retractors. Thanks for the vid. :+1:

Made a cup one time from nylon :grin: That is “coffee black as midnight on a moonless night”

8 Likes

Well, sort of – but the nice thing is that one of mine, my Z18, can be watched over via my phone and the built in camera – can even pause or stop it if need be. I like that.

3 Likes

I had a run of sponge prints recently. That’s when the filament sorta-kinda jams but not completely, so you get a 3D shape very like what you intended, but with only about half or a third of the plastic and very little of it solidly stuck together. You can watch the whole thing on webcam and think it’s fine, but it isn’t.

Replacing the fan on the hotend seems to have fixed it (I think I should really lay in a supply).

1 Like

I have octoprint on all of my printers, so they all have HD cameras (both for monitoring, and to record time lapses) as well as full remote control. Although I have to say, I disabled the mobile version since it is a terrible UI, and just use the regular web interface on my phone (works fine and is ironically more readable than the mobile version). However, despite all that, and the rumors by my colleagues to the contrary, I do actually sleep…

2 Likes