Why so far off

https://screenshots.firefox.com/Xj4jXg1f4CL8muZL/app.glowforge.com Why is it not staying according to the picture that we see on the screen?

The image you show appears to show material on top of material. The focus would be way off and this would cause huge errors/distortions in the preview image.

2 Likes

I know the purplish color was what I had set up for it to score and the black behind is what it scored. It should have scored the purplish color that is why I put the board there to get the right measurements. If that isn’t true to for per the picture we have on our screen then that is messed up. How are we to know?

1 Like

Not sure I completely understand what you are saying about putting the board there. So will just try to explain my comment.

On most machines there is an offset from what the preview image (purple) shows and where the cut ends up. This can be up to 1/4" depending on the design distance from the center of the material. In your example I see a difference of about an inch. This is because the preview image (purple) is expecting a material height about 0.14" above the crumbtray consistent with the thickness of medium maple hardwood. When you put the board on top of another board it raised the image plane far higher. The GF dewarp S/W is correcting for a lower image height and will show the purple image completely distorted. Not surprised at all that there is that much of a difference. Material height is everything when looking at the purple preview image. If it is wrong design placement will be wildly off.

2 Likes

Oh ok I get it now, thank you.

To put it another way, this is the important setting for the preview to be accurate:

Glowforge%202018-06-11%2013-41-45

Glowforge%202018-06-11%2013-42-23

If you are using custom material, you need to measure the thickness and enter it in that field. If you are using Proofgrade, the Glowforge knows its standard thickness and you don’t have to enter it. But if it sees a proofgrade sticker and your material is not actually Proofgrade thickness, it will get confused.

2 Likes

Ok thank you.

And if you’re stacking materials, the entered height is the total height of your stacked materials.

As well, if you are engraving (can’t cut) something thicker than 0.5", you’ll need to remove the crumb tray and then figure out the difference. I made some bed risers to make this easier:

1 Like

Thanks for your help, @rpegg, @chris1, and @bbum.

@mckinley5317 I’m sorry this wasn’t clear up front. If changing the material thickness doesn’t help, please let me know!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.