Wifi password

Quick and easy – I got tired of having to text the wifi password to my mom for her caregivers, so I made a QR code to post on their living room wall. :slight_smile:

The pattern is below, if you want to make your own. Insert your QR code (here’s how to make one) where the blue square is; engrave the text and graphics, score the red line, and cut the black line.

wifi.pdf (8.8 KB)

48 Likes

Great idea. I am sure having to frequently provide your password was a pain.

14 Likes

Smart idea

12 Likes

I’m going to make one of these for our guest account at work!

Thank you.

15 Likes

Great idea.

I think I’d add the SSID and pword to the design for people visiting with laptops.

13 Likes

It might be there; I haven’t tried it with a laptop yet. The eero app provided the QR code for me, so I’m not sure what all it wrapped up in there.

12 Likes

Right the issue is that laptops don’t have easy cameras for QR codes.

I suppose if you made the QR plaque easily removable you could hold it up to the laptop’s camera?

9 Likes

That’s a nice idea. We have printout on the wall in the guest room with various information, but I never thought of engraving it. It would look a lot nicer.

16 Likes

Fantastic idea.

9 Likes

Or take a photo with your phone and hold that up to the laptop camera :grin:

12 Likes

Hmm ok.

1: Get tracing paper and a charcoal pencil. Do a rubbing of the wifi plaque, the engrave should come across pretty well.

2: Make a photocopy of the rubbing.

3: Get two pieces of construction paper, white and black. Cut into a large number of 1" Squares. Use that photocopy as a guide to make a sort of jigsaw puzzle of your QR code.

4: Open your laptop in the other room and get Inkscape going. Make a black and a white square. Enlist a second person to yell out the sequence of your puzzle pieces from #3. Copy and paste your squares and snap the corners together to make a grid that matches your QR puzzle.

5: Almost there! Take a photo of your Inkscape screen and text it to your brother. He’s smart, he’ll figure out how to email it back to you, probably within 24 hours too!

6: Download the attached photo from the email and submit it to a QR decoder. There are lots of them, but here’s one: ZXing Decoder Online

7: Copy the SSID and password onto a new piece of paper (you kept the pencil from #1, right?)

8: Start a facetime call with the gkids. Hold your phone up to the SSID and password from step 7, and have them read it aloud to you as you type it into your laptop.

Piece of cake! :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Yeup, that should work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes

The new version of sneaker-net.

10 Likes

Great idea!!

7 Likes

So as an IT guy, here’s the easiest option you can offer. Have a second QR code. This one only shows up as a text image with the SSID information and the sign in password. This may be something that you would want to have on a separate item. However, in doing this you can control who does and does not have password access to your wireless. Additionally, the IT guy in me also needs to make sure this is pointed out. Most dual band wireless networks these days have something considered a guest network. If you have somebody coming over who you do not want to affect your actual network items, put them on the guest network for the love of everything.

15 Likes

Great project! Much easier for all.

8 Likes

Do laptop cameras read QR codes and interpret the wifi: tag to setup a wifi connection? I wouldn’t expect that to be the case. I know Windows requires a separate app from the app store (Wi-Fi QR Code Scanner) to do that. Not sure about Macs.

7 Likes

Dunno. Good point though.

More reason to put the password and ssid on there.

8 Likes

Brilliant idea!

5 Likes

An interesting idea:

6 Likes