WiFi QR code sign

Any chance you would sell that design? Minus the Xcode of course, I’m a big Superman fan & have some great ideas for it.

I love this!!! I am going to make one for my living room.

Totally agree. And I’ll probably make one for my buddy’s rental property.

I can’t sell what I don’t own.

But here is what I found…

I can post the stand file in the Free Design section.

2 Likes

OK, way off topic, but I call BS here. I don’t really know anyone, engineer or not, who reads the manual for their phone, but it’s the engineers who read the reviews in my friend circles. Most people who know the less publicized features on their phones are aware because they are heavy users. This is why my 13 year old knows more about his phone than my software engineer husband. I know more than either of them, but only because it’s my job.

3 Likes

So I ran with the idea of including a QR code for my website in a sign for my table at an upcoming show (not as cool as one by @bwente sign) – though only showing the top part of the sign w/ the code (and there may still be some masking in spots when I took the photo)… Quickly found generators so I could download the code and free code reader for my phone, and tested it many times before hitting the button…

8 Likes

I have a little sign like @henryhbk used at NYMF referencing the machine as a Glowforge, URLs and the QR code is actually the url with my referral code. It reads fine - I did it on PG Maple Ply.

The QR scanner is built directly into the camera app, just point the pone at the QR as if you were taking a picture of it. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That’s a great idea there, too. I’ve been remiss about getting a referral code, but should, as I do meet others at shows interested & recommend GF, so might as well give them an easy link & maybe get some benefit!

1 Like

My son-in-law will enjoy this! Nice stand … thank you!!

Reminder for anyone posting these that you should blur or obfuscate the QR code when you post photos of it online. You are sharing your credentials with everyone.

1 Like

In this case, it was the whole point of making a QR code. I wanted to share. Anyone who is in the neighbor hood is welcome to access my guest wifi network. :grinning:

6 Likes

Thanks for the idea. I made one for my new tenants. I own a duplex - I have my WiFi and they get the guest account. They are twenty-somethings I’ve known for twenty-some years. I put it on the table they moved into the entryway so everyone sees it when they come in the front door.

They love the sign; they take photos of it and constantly show people the sign I made for them; but no one instinctively gets what the QR code is for. Once told it is, “Oh I have one of those on my phone. Where is that app?” Everything seems to get sorted out eventually.

2 Likes

What settings do you use to cut the 5mm Home Depot Underlayment? Everything we cut burns.

It’s a very poor choice of material and, yes, it is very difficult to find settings that cut cleanly.

That said, settings for non-proofgrade materials can only be discussed over in Beyond the Manual.

I used it for prototypes or throw-away stuff, but since THD started selling Purebond branded material in Glowforge-sized sheets, I’ve used that more than anything.

Not sure if you’ve explored this before or not but qr codes ironically read better with the rounded qr patterns when lasered then squares. Had to throw out a whole batch of business tokens because the squares weren’t reading probably

1 Like

I’ve been able to do it but the settings are not default by any means, most users won’t like how slow you have to turn the speed to get it to cut properly

I started with the settings posted in this thread…

But, read through the whole thing, lots of good info. But @eflyguy mentioned Purebond, which I have also started using. Much easier to deal with.

1 Like

I saw some proofgrade in michael’s the other day. No shipping!

1 Like

Love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

Keep Creating.

1 Like