Wild West on the mantel

We finally put away our holiday decorations in late February, but we were missing the ambiance from the lighted Christmas village that was on the mantel. So I decided to come up with a year-round lighted display for the space.

The design source was this svg set from Creative Fabrica. I had to do quite a bit of editing, as the figures were clearly autotraced and had about a billion nodes. Also, the cacti and bushes were initially just painted on the sides of the buildings, but I pulled them off and made standalone versions of them to fill in the space. The parts were all cut from Baltic birch which I had painted with blocks of color. I made wooden triangles to glue on the backs of everything, then down to 1/4” boards to stand everything up. The window holes have vellum cardstock glued behind, and there are fairy lights arranged behind them. We are very pleased at how the project turned out.

44 Likes

How fun!

Do you plan to have any seasonal elements to swap out through the year?

Trees in the fall or Lemmon aid stand in the summer.

Seems like with all the work you did for the SVG that it might not be a big leap for some fun seasonal but subtle flair.

14 Likes

Looks great btw

9 Likes

Ohh sorry one more. You could make up some founders day decorations that you put up ever March. :innocent:

10 Likes

Very nice year round addition.

12 Likes

That turned out awesome!

11 Likes

What a fun project! This looks great!

10 Likes

I really like that – very well done!

10 Likes

I’ll have to consider it!

8 Likes

I’m amazed at your productivity! Nicely done.

11 Likes

This is awesome! Love your color selections … and glad you pulled the landscape items out on their own. Beautiful job! It speaks to me. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Cool!

7 Likes

I absolutely love that! What a fantastic idea! Love the vellum windows letting the lights shine through.

7 Likes

Beautiful!!!

7 Likes

Now you need a stagecoach, cowboys, etc!

10 Likes

I like the stagecoach idea!

5 Likes

What a wonderful idea. I need to spruce up my mantel.

3 Likes