Window Blind Cord Manager

Our cats love to play with the cords for the blinds. It’s a bit noisy though and we’re always worried about them damaging the blinds. So I remembered a device my mom got WAY back at a Tupperware party (remember those?) that helped shorten blind cords.

Attached is my version cut out of 1/8" acrylic. It practically disappears against the blinds at a distance. My wife loves them and the cats have one less thing to play with. It’s also a great way to keep cords away from toddlers.

The design is only 2 cm wide so it’s great for using up the scrap edges of an acrylic sheet.

Hope someone else finds the design useful!

Here is the SVG:
Cord Winder

Pictures of the finished product

39 Likes

Ooooh! I can use these! (I’ve got curious kitties and blinds to boot!) Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

Pawsome! Thanks for the share!

5 Likes

Yes!! I love a clever practical project and solution!!

1 Like

Quick practical cut.

1 Like

Hahaha! Awesome! Our cats are constantly messing with the cords and we are always having to deal with that. Thanks!

1 Like

I just trim them to length.

2 Likes

Nice, can double as an ear saver!

2 Likes

Ha! Hadn’t thought of that but it would work.

Darin Dickson

2 Likes

Nice

Simple tool but very useful, thanks for sharing.

Thanks!! I have a kitty that likes to eat them. I’ve melted more than one string back together.

2 Likes

will definitely use

1 Like

I applaud sharing a design, and I’m all for practical cuts, but blind strings are designed to be cut. It’s in the installation instructions.

Slide the pull up the string. Tie a knot at desired length. Cut the string just below the knot.

2 Likes

This is such a great and extremely useful item. Thank you for the file.

Got to thinking about this project and had to return for a curiosity question.
The cats are not going to give up burning that energy anymore than a child would.
So, let us know what they migrate to now that the blind strings are off the menu (I suppose waking up with them sitting there staring at you may also be an option).

2 Likes

Yes, but if you raise the blinds, you have long cords again. Or, as we call them around here, cat toys.

3 Likes

This week’s trick is stealing the dish rag from the sink and dragging it around the house. Not quite as destructive as going after the blinds. Although, I did have to buy a few more dish rags…

4 Likes

Very nice, I love practical ideas (and svg files!!). Thanks!