Wine bottle engraving?

Has anyone done any wine bottle engravings? Does it fit in the glowforge? What are the laser parameters (I.E. laser speed, laser power, material height)? Is it safe to engrave an unopened wine bottle? (meaning that there is still wine in it)

My brother is asking me to engrave a wine bottle that still has the wine in it. I told him that I need to consult others first.

Thanks!

If the bottle is less than 2" diameter, it shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ve never seen a bottle that small, however.

1 Like

Yeah, only some dessert wines and the like. Beyond that it’s a glass bottle, so if you do a search for glass you’ll see lots of opinions (there is no default setting for glass).

As far as it being full, that shouldn’t be an issue, but you’ll probably want to put it in a tupperware or something just on the off chance it breaks - contain the liquid so it doesn’t mess with your GF!

2 Likes

is that the biggest that would fit in the glowforge? even with the crumb tray removed?

I will look around for the glass etching.
And I think I would be more concerned with the cork exploding off and destroying the glass or the camera or the laser itself!

The tray is ~1.4" tall, so removing it gives you that extra height for larger objects.

As far as the cork exploding, that’s virtually impossible. There won’t be any measurable heat transfer to the contents - although the glass itself could potentially crack due to focused heat source. I don’t recall anyone ever having that occur.

1 Like

You could fit champagne splits in it, tray removed, for a bachelorette party or something. With glass, the laser heats the glass and the glass fractures. As champagne is under pressure, it’ll be the bottle that goes before the cork. Single glass bottles of wine would work as well with no real worries.

Cut masking and etch/sandblast is the way to go for big glass items.

2 Likes

Totally agree! most bang for your buck is cut masking and etch/sandblast. easy to do, fast to set up, good results.
I’ve also done wine bottles with custom made intricate cut (think doily) labels made out of cherry wood veneer (with the 3M adhesive built in). They always get lots of OOOHHH! and AAAHH!

2 Likes

Oh that’s clever.

Do you use a transfer masking like you would with vinyl, or do you design it to be strong enough so that it can be applied as is?

Using the Proofgrade Glowforge veneer with 3M backing. If it’s super lacy it will wrap right around with little effort. if it’s just a rectangular cut out with etching on it, it’ harder to do without snapping it…unless you take a damp rag with hot water and get it damp first then use the hot rag to press it onto the round piece and hold until the adhesive has time to bond. I had to do that one time with a baseball trophy made of real baseball bats.

1 Like

I was wondering, as 3M adhesive backed veneer isn’t just a Glowforge thing. I tried a solid piece around a 10" cylinder and it wouldn’t hold so I thought maybe you were using a different type. But your, “it must be lacy”, advice tells me we experienced the same thing. Good to know, but lacy wouldn’t have worked for my application.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.