WJL's Production Machine Projects

I’m amazed at your day 1 productivity! You clearly had a ton of fun! I rarely use the trace function and had no idea it was capable of such high quality–thanks for that!

Oh, and your LED lighted menu looks just like the ones I have, from eBay. If they are, I believe that is polycarbonate, not acrylic. It doesn’t cut or engrave very well, seems more melty. What I have been doing is using either 1/8" acrylic with a bit of craft foam at the bottom to hold it in, or 1/4" acrylic with engraving at the bottom to match the slot.

4 Likes

I dont think those are meant to be engraved but drawn on with those chalk pens maybe??

2 Likes

Awesome Projects!! Great job!

For the batman scan, did you try changing the contrast? I think you hold ctrl and hit up or down to change the contrast of the image after you scan it.

3 Likes

If @Xabbess had a nickel for every time she said “embossing powder”… :wink:

My wife almost bought some last night at the craft store, but she wasn’t sure if it was the right stuff since it was with the stains.

4 Likes

GREAT first projects!

We’re note nearly as far along yet! We’ve quickly realized we need a lot more material! We’re being so stingy right now!

3 Likes

Awesome collection of projects! Love that foil effect! :sunglasses:

(will link when I get back from shopping run this morning.)

2 Likes

If you got the Chinese sourced “menu lights” sourced on eBay (I use the bases a lot & have linked to the eBay search needed) then they’re definitely extruded. The engrave look you got supports that assumption. Just cut out your own acrylic and lip it in the base and it’s fine. If you use 1/4" then do a trace on the wavy base and an engrave to thin that section and it’ll fit right into the base. If you use 1/8" then a small strip of Gorilla tape will thicken it up so it’s held firmly in place.

4 Likes

Yes, great workaround. @cynd11also mentioned a couple ways to use these bases, including this one. I’ll probably do the 1/4" option instead of using 1/8" and creating a shim with tape. It was late last night and I hadn’t thought of engraving away some thicker acrylic. That may even be a project for today. Right now I’m cutting the Batman coaster. It still won’t trace correctly, but I found a workaround for this design. With :glowforge: their’s always a way. Oops, gotta go, Batman is done!

3 Likes

I bought these exact same lights on Aliexpress…6 of them for $32+. I call them my ‘coming-round-the-horn-lights’ because they took so long to get here. I had the same experience quality-wise. Garbage in, garbage out. My engrave looked really ‘melty’ and smeary, too. I’ll just use my own acrylic which will give much better results.

Bill, I LOVE that you post your settings with each project. Earlier on, in my career as laserer extraordinaire, I could have used that kind of help.

It’s almost as much fun watching other peoples reaction to the wonder that is Glowforge, as it is to watch it yourself. I have arm prints across the front section of glass and the metal lid handle.

Keep up the good work. It’s fun to see.

9 Likes

Heh heh…little did you know that I am now a wealthy woman, having been paid a princely sum each time I say…embossing powder. Ooops, I did it again! Cha ching!

:wink: :laughing:

9 Likes

Thanks.
I’ve got soon much more to try. Today I’m trying to finish up the full set of Geeky coasters. The seem to cut really fast while you are working on getting the next design ready to go. All of a sudden the 16 minutes is past and you’re on to the next one. I do find myself getting caught up watching the cuts sometimes. Maybe that’s why the next design isn’t always set up by the time the current one is done cutting.

I wonder if you could truly hypnotize someone with a :glow forge:. :smile:

3 Likes

Ok Bill you’ve had your fun - now where’s my cheesehead or Packer G on a cheese curd? :wink:

2 Likes

OH NO. I just saw a post that Batman died. RIP Adam West. You’ll always be THE Batman to my generation.

11 Likes

So sad. I was so excited as a kid when that show was coming on. My Dad knew him when they both worked at a radio/TV station in Hawaii in the 50’s – his name was Bill Anderson back then. Even have a picture of him holding my older brother as a baby. Go with grace.

5 Likes

Kind of bittersweet after just hearing that Adam West has died, but here’s the reverse side of the Joker coaster.

Here’s the workaround for the image not tracing well in the bed of the :glowforge:
I saved the graphic as a JPEG and then uploaded it to the interface instead of tracing. It came in perfectly. I couldn’t designate a cut line on a JPEG, but guess what? I didn’t need one. It was already cut when I did the Joker on the first side. A little nudging of the artwork to align it to the scan of the already cut coaster on the bed and - Glowy button again. 16 minutes later that Batman is ready to defend the coffee table against the ravages of the Joker (and condensation).

24 Likes

Very nice

Thanks @joe. I thought I remembered that there was a way to adjust contrast. Looked at all the commands on screen and couldn’t find it. The control-arrow shortcut does change the contrast, but unfortunately the contrast difference was way too much on this scan. If I adjusted enough to start to fill the interior void, the rest of the graphic started to fill also. I have written this down for future use. It already could have come handy for the Batman linocut in this post. We adjusted contrast outside of the :glowforge: 's interface to compensate for it being a black and beige image. As you’ll see in one of the posts above, Geordi did come up with an alternative fix and the Batman/Joker coaster is complete. The Romulan/Enterprise coaster is about 6 minutes from completion.

4 Likes

Wow! You were really prepared to get right to work! Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Yup.
Many of these files were prepared for last June. I’m SO glad I kept the faith and hung in there. The strong forum group was a major reason for staying. The machine just blows me away.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for showing off what can be done! Can’t wait to join the party!