Wood box, birthday gift for friend

This is a gift box I made for a friend’s birthday. It’s in cherry ply with a mineral oil/beeswax finish (still curing). I bought the files on Etsy.

Inner dimension of box is 2.6" square; outer dimension of lid is 3.13". Making the bow is very fiddly; I had to use a small mallet to get everything to fit…and plenty of glue to fix the uh…errors.

63 Likes

Charming! I love it.

4 Likes

Well executed, and the finishing completes the project so well. I tend to skip or scrimp on sanding, waxing, and finishing time. Your attention to finalizing the item show me I should pay more attention to the fine details.

9 Likes

I love the bow!

7 Likes

I generally hate the finishing part because it’s hard on my fingers (small pieces). Well worth it though–the top would not fit smoothly except that I sanded all the corners (along with the rest, but concentrated on the hand-feel of the corners) and used the oil/beeswax finish.

If I don’t want to finish stuff too closely, I use acrylic. Wood use includes a conscious decision to do the sanding etc.

Something that really helped was to size the piece for a tight fit in the finger joints…no glue = no glue mess.

@geek2nurse The bow is really cool, but it’s the hardest part!

6 Likes

Very nice! (And yeah, the bow makes it!) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

So cute!

5 Likes

This looks great! I, too, skimp on the finish work! Inspiring!

4 Likes

This box is a keepsake for sure! It’s lovely.

4 Likes

This is simply lovely, what an innovative design on the bow, I’m sure your friend will treasure it. I need to make more boxes, it’s one of the reasons I got my :glowforge: and I have been procrastinating on the box-making. Beautiful ones are not so easy to make (at least not for me!).

3 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

Take a bow for that bow. Great idea. Nicely done.

8 Likes

Great execution on that. Is that the first wooden bow like that on the forum? Nice!

3 Likes

and @MakerMatthew I didn’t design the bow, it was in the file I purchased. Much as I would like to, I can’t take the credit for this design, just the execution.

:bowing_woman: :bow_and_arrow: :rainbow: :ribbon:

For anyone who follows the link to the etsy files, keep in mind you will need to make corrections…have on-hand a vector editing program.

5 Likes

Love the bow. Awesome box!

3 Likes

I too appreciate the finishing work. It’s an area of weakness for me because I have no training in woodworking, and few supplies. I don’t even know what you mean by mineral oil/ beeswax finish, or why you would choose that over a polymer based finish—if I did my wood pieces would probably look better!

2 Likes

The older I get, the fewer 1-use things I want in my home. Mineral oil can be used in the garden and on your skin; beeswax has many home uses. Mixed together in the right proportion and with gentle heat, I can make a cheap and quick substance that’s great for using on wood.

Both beeswax and mineral oil can be used on items intended for food use: cutting boards, platters, plates. It puts a gorgeous finish on wood that leaves no greasy after-effect once cured (a day). It’s also a good lubricant for pieces that move next to each other (the lid and inner corners of the box).

I’ve finished a wood shuttle with a spray sealer and another with the wax/oil mix. I much prefer the feel of the wax/oil. The richness of the wood seems greater with the wax/oil. The mix proportion I found via internet search was a bit too rich in the wax for my preference, so I added a bit more oil. Can’t do that with a commercial mix!

4 Likes

They’re not errors, they’re features! Very nice

2 Likes

That bow!!

4 Likes

The bow makes for a big impression. Lovely finish work.

2 Likes