Wood Christmas Stocking

This was my first attempt at this wood stocking. This was also my first time weaving. Weaving is not my thing. I was thinking of knitting or crocheting the next one, but have decided on burlap to save time. I can’t wait to see what the burlap looks like. I think it will give it a nice rustic look.

I was originally going to engrave the green and red parts, but that would have been an hour and 45 minute engrave and cut. I am glad cause I think the cut out layered pieces with color make it look better.

UPDATE:
I finally had time to finish my siblings stockings and the burlap worked great.

51 Likes

Good on you for sticking with it, the weaving looks amazing! Burlap will also look awesome as well though. Great piece :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That is nice and sturdy. You can get some serious candy and gifts in there. Nicely done.!

5 Likes

Thanks! As soon as I started putting it together, I was like, maybe I should have done 3" on the weave instead of 4". This isn’t stretchy like fabric stocking, though, so I think the 4" is a good size.

The weave was tight with thick yarn, so it ended up very sturdy. I think I may need to add a few lower wood posts when I do the burlap. This design just had the top 2.

4 Likes

This looks awesome! I think the weaving adds a really nice detail to it!

2 Likes

That’s a cool overall effect. Looks like it was a lot of work!

3 Likes

Great idea! And a great way to avoid living hinge!

2 Likes

This is a very nice first attempt. I agree, swapping the applied name, trim and tree adds a lot to the project, gives it something the engraving could not. I like the idea of using burlap. How would you attach it to the wood front and back?

3 Likes

I am thinking I can add it the same way I did the weave and just sew it on with yarn. I like the way the yarn. looks around the edge. I will post updates on how the burlap turns out.

1 Like

This looks so cool. Very unique

2 Likes

Very unique!

3 Likes

Nice change to a classic

2 Likes

Nicely done! Love the weaving. Nice change from the living hinge.

2 Likes

This looks really nice.

1 Like

Neat! And so much room for stuff! Lucky Mandy!

1 Like

This is an amazing piece, well done!

1 Like