Wood cover books 3 ways

I love having nice, personalized books for all kinds of purposes and have tried making them a few different ways. Thought I’d share what I tried and the results.

#1: The super-easy way. A pre-made blank journal that already has a wood cover. Toss it in the Glowforge and engrave.

Material: Wooden Notebook with Unlined Pages - 5.6” X 8.3”
Settings: 1000/60/225

#2: The cheap way. Buy any notebook you like, measure the spacing between the spirals to add holes (circles or squares) to your a vector design, remove the existing covers and replace them with your wooden ones. This started out as a blank “sketch book” with nice thick pages of blank paper. You could just as easily pick up a journal from Target or Wal-Mart.

Material: HD PureBond 5/32" Walnut Plywood
Settings: PG Medium Walnut Plywood

#3: The homemade way. Punch your own paper and bind the book from scratch.

Materials

• White 8x10" cardstock and a hole punch

• Medium maple plywood for the covers, cut/engraved at the Proofgrade settings

• Chicago screws from Amazon in two lengths, one long enough to go through both covers and the stack of paper, and a shorter length that only goes through the cover and the binding

• Faux leather to bind the cover to the spine, laser cut to size with holes for the chicago screws, and some superglue as well. I used this saddle collection sheet cut at 245/50

Bonus: Kraft or chipboard books can be engraved too.

This was a kraft journal from Michaels, engraved at something like 2000/full IIRC. I lost the saved custom setting when Glowforge wiped out all the vector engrave settings that were saved with speeds over 1000.

55 Likes

The only problem I have with beautiful journal covers is my absolutely crap handwriting inside the books…so I never use them once I’ve made them.

Those would be too nice to write in. :smile:

13 Likes

That’s a very nice collection of notebooks!

5 Likes

I like explorations of techniques like this. Could you go into a little more detail about how you bound your own book?

3 Likes

OMG… it’s like you were in my brain and knew I was thinking about making journal covers. :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Love the chicago screws method - looks very classy

1 Like

These are great! I’ve bought some blank journals with the thought of doing something like this but never got around to it. Maybe this will nudge me to give it a shot!

1 Like

Great post and great work! So many ways to make a notebook! Love the GF!

Any specific questions? Maybe this will clarify. Here’s my SVG for the 100% handmade book. Anyone that would like to use it to make their own, feel free!

The spine and front cover, go over the leatherette, go over the stack of hole-punched paper, go over the back cover. Chicago screws hold everything together. I also brushed a bit of super glue on the leatherette.

guestbook

16 Likes

Beautiful! Thank you so much!

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

This is a great post. I learned a great deal —-thank you!!