Wood handbag

Thank you so much for sharing!

4 Likes

I made one out of draftboard. Definitely going to cloth-line the inside. I always break my living hinges.

3 Likes

I put some leather inside of mine, I guess I didn’t mention that part ;). Does make the inside feel nicer so stuff doesn’t fall out too.

6 Likes

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

OMG, I purchased a very similar file on a laser file sight when I first got my GF! :rofl: :rofl:

11 Likes

Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Your handbag really looks nice. The design goes really well with the living hinges.

4 Likes

Thank you. This is lovely.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the share! Looks really good. And I love all the possibilities for customization! (the creative wheels are turning over here :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Can you use acrylic for this?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Acrylic can be used for living hinges, but repeatedly opening and closing acrylic might not work.

6 Likes

Great idea, I [have] some thin leather scraps that would work. Thanks for the file; you do nice work.

Funny how errors make themselves apparent after I’ve posted!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, thanks for joining us.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Can you tell a newbie to living hinges what that is or looks like. I had the little stamp dispenser fail when I tried it but got a curved edge box to work(so far) that I made the pattern from one of those generators.

2 Likes

There is an add in for inkscape that allowsnyou to add in a living hinge to your projects, Generally for something like this I’d add more of a curving surface with thinner sections to work with the natural curving rather then force the hinges to bend too far and stretch out. As an example, something I’ve been prototyping and need to color before I release to the public

I’ve seen other people make something similar, however they generally have wider gaps in the living hinge, and makes it die out quicker. This provides much less stress Because the radius accommodates the curve properly

6 Likes

Thanks for responding. I thought the smaller and closer cuts would be better. Maybe be next summer I’ll be using living hinges in some of my projects, but I’m still getting around Inkscape and the designing factors but can no do somethings.

2 Likes

Thank you so much

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing!

I made one as a birthday present for my now 11-year-old. She’s really excited about decorating it. I cut it out using some 3 mm basswood from Amazon that I’ve had good luck with. I found some synthetic leather laying around and cut it to size with the Glowforge before applying it as a liner. I still need to add in hinge magnets and a strap.

I’ll try to remember to post again once I and my daughter have completed it.

15 Likes

That looks amazing! Nice work.

1 Like