Wood Lotus Light

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share one of my recent projects that was based on a fun questionnaire I put out on my Instagram. I asked my friends for recommendations of buildings that they could see as a table lamp and had several suggestions. The one that this project is based on is the Lotus Temple in India, which was inspired by a lotus flower. This wood lotus light is my interpretation of the architecture of the lotus temple and a lotus flower.

To make this light fixture, I had two layers of 1/8 inch plywood for the base. One of the layers had slots cut out of it for the 1/8 inch plywood panels to be inserted and glued in place. The other layer was a solid piece to create a rigid base. Although there are lots of wood panels, this project took a total of 4 full sheets of proofgrade maple plywood.

Here are some photos of the project and if you’re interested in learning more about it and/or seeing videos of the project, here’s a link to my YouTube video where you can learn more about the design and see the final project.

Hope this inspires your projects!
Tim Ung

62 Likes

That is really nice.

5 Likes

I have seen many different sorts if lotus lights but I really like that one! Thinking how great it could look in acrylic.

5 Likes

What a thing of beauty!

4 Likes

Another great design. Thanks for sharing the photos.

4 Likes

Wow just beautiful! I can see these being way oversized, made from acrylic and turned upside down,

5 Likes

Beautiful.

4 Likes

Thank you! I think it would look great in a frosted or colored acrylic with the panels slightly turned. Good idea :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, that would be an amazing chandelier, especially if the panel sizes were larger too! :smile:

2 Likes

Wonderful design and execution!

5 Likes

Amazing! Loved it!
Well done!

3 Likes

Very nice! Great design!!

4 Likes

That is beautiful - from any angle! I love it.

4 Likes

Inspiring!

4 Likes

Quite elegant! Beautiful work.

2 Likes

Well done. The repetition of shape looks great in your design.

~ Jason

2 Likes

Beautiful work! <3

2 Likes