Wood Spiral Table Lamp

Very impressive. I hope to one day have the confidence to create something like this on my Pro.

1 Like

OK, I loved your lamp so much I made one too. Several issues I had (FYI, none of these issues involved you, your design, or your tutorial, they were all user error :rofl:)… One… I have no lamp parts, so I wasn’t sure how big that middle hole was supposed to be. Two, I tried using fusion 360 to make the notches on the outside… But my fusion 360 level is only at opening the program and saving a blank file. So I got it to create a pattern, but not cut the notches. So I exported the blueprint as a pdf to open in Inkscape and fix. Three, apparently my pattern was actually 35 layers rotated around my original layer, and my rectangles were two unconnected lines. So, I had a lot of cleaning up to do. In my cleaning up, I made my fourth issue, I didn’t adjust for kerf, so I had to use a whole lot of glue, and my glue skills are shameful.

After all this, I decided to cannabalize a lamp someone gifted me… Which was a whole other set of issues. I gave up with that. But it made me realize that my hole in the center was way too small.

Then I realized I had an extra, very cheap, ikea floor lamp that we were using the base of to paint car parts. I found the light part, dremeled a ton in the center to get it to fit, then shortened the height of the base to be more proportionate. Overall, looks great. Now I have to fix my file and I think I’ll be able to update all my 12 dollar ikea lamps :joy::joy::joy:

Thanks for the YouTube tutorial. I liked it, but I almost bought rhino because of it, even though I don’t have the brain space to add another program in there and I only want it to create the angled pattern around a circle… Which I’m pretty sure fusion will do, just can’t figure out how.

10 Likes

well done!

This story just made my night! I love your persistence and sticking to it even with all the challenges you faced along the way. Your version came out great. Great job with reverse engineering and making your own. Love it!

Now just wait until you see the lamp coming out on my YouTube channel this Friday…

3 Likes

Oh no…make sure you include a link to some lamp hardware on Amazon, :rofl: :rofl: I only have one more cheap lamp I can rip apart and IKEA is way too crowded for me to venture into right now.

You can find a few options linked here. Just scroll down and you’ll see one called table lamp base. I remove the lamp shade that comes with it and just use the base :grin:

1 Like

Thanks! That’s what I did with this IKEA lamp. Now I need to figure out what I want to do with the cheap plastic shade. But I see the hardware you used for this lamp, that really narrows down my amazon choices :rofl:

I don’t know if you find this interesting, but I love the lamp parts from this company: https://www.colorcord.com/

4 Likes

This site was actually super cool. I like the idea of being able to choose colors for the power cords. Thanks for that! Have you ever bought anything from here?

I have purchased from them. They are a nice Colorado company, and the extension cords I bought from them and gifted to someone ended up in use at the ICA (Boston) museum gift shop. I enjoy just looking at all the colors and choices of cords that they sell.

2 Likes

Love simple beautiful designs such as these. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

FYI, if you’re interested, you can find a link to my Etsy shop with this table lamp and my latest one in the description of the YouTube video now :grin:! There are only files for this wood spiral light and the wood shell light in my shop.

Wow, something to be very proud of. Kudos!!

1 Like

I LOVE this website…thanks for linking to it. I have a real ‘thing’ for lights, so this place is really fun.

2 Likes