Wooden screen door

I made a wooden screen door (that leads to a stairwell to our basement). I designed the screen to be cut into 20 segments (from 1/4" baltic birch plywood) that were then glued together like a jigsaw puzzle. I like the way it turned out, but I could clearly use a few more lessons in woodworking!

71 Likes

Love it!

5 Likes

Welcome Janet!
Great result, one of the largest pieces I’ve seen. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The screen is FANTASTIC!! The maker always focuses on the flaws, the viewer focuses on the beauty and creativity.

I’ve been wanting to make a screen similar to yours since I received the Glowforge. Yours is just lovely.

6 Likes

Wow! That’s just brilliant! (In both design and execution!) :grinning:

3 Likes

Great idea & beautiful design!

3 Likes

That’s beautiful and ingenious.

Did you build the frame from scratch or use something store-bought?

I have wanted to make a similar door for the front of my house, to allow airflow when the weather is conducive. I have a design already, but unfortunately, I could not be certain my dogs (now dog) would not break thru.

4 Likes

I built the frame from scratch using other plywood I had - the laser cut panel is basically sandwiched between two layers of 0.5" plywood that was cut into pieces and glued together. The frame was the part that ended up being the more troublesome aspect of the project, since I’m a pretty novice woodworker!

We actually made the door to block our cats from going downstairs (where they were making quite the mess) and to provide airflow and some natural light into the stairwell. We also installed self-closing hinges. 1/4" is sufficiently thick that I’m not too worried about the panel being overly fragile (but only time will tell!)

9 Likes

What a great project. I have a stairwell I want to close up in the next year or two and keep debating how to do it. Never thought about using my GF to enhance it.

3 Likes

TY.

I’ve built “barn” doors using a manufactured material similar to MDF, which is incredibly stable but that means any lack of precision skills can’t be covered up with a little extra bending/tension in the joints.

So, I was just curious. Not sure a plywood frame would hold up on the exterior of my home (heat and humidity here in GA, USA…)

3 Likes

Great idea and design. Really like the modular panel build. As to plywood, Down here we tend to use marine plywood for just about everything…

3 Likes

What a brilliant design!!! Nice work!

Very neat!

Impressive! So neat to see big projects like that pieced together.

2 Likes

That’s pretty incredible!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! It’s so encouraging to hear.

I’ve had the Glowforge for a while now but have only built a few smaller projects using cardboard. It was definitely a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to cut lots of these larger pieces from plywood, and I’ve learned so much from seeing other peoples’ posts in this forum! I’m just glad to finally be able to make something worth posting!

6 Likes

Well done!

2 Likes

It looks amazing! Kudos for tackling such a large project, and with such success!

2 Likes

Beautiful work!

2 Likes

That is beautiful! I don’t think you need any lessons in woodworking because that looks amazing for sure! Great job​:muscle:t4::muscle:t4::muscle:t4:

1 Like