Wooden short sword

Who are you calling ‘backstabber’?! I am the Dragonblade, gift from the empress herself.

This is part of a three sword (so far) series that I’ve explored. I’m not going to get into process details, we’ve covered them a lot on the forum. Instead I’ll list a series of skills that you will need and you can search for them.

Things you’ll need to know:

• Passthrough technique
  • Kerf Adjustment
  • Cutting and scoring techniques

Things it is good to know:

• Wood staining
  • Wood finishing
  • Edge sanding/shaping techniques [search for my layered round boxes, I talk about it at length)
  • A functional knowledge of your Agrippa.

Materials:

• 1/8" baltic birch
  • Wood glue
  • Wood stain (optional)
  • Wood finish (I used wipe on satin polyurethane

Tools:

• A belt sander is really nice to have for shaping the blade. It will save you so much time.
  • Hand sanding block is basically a requirement
  • A bench vise or a clever clamping solution (Far harder to try to hold this while you do detail sanding. A vise really helps)
  • Clamps. Lots of clamps. You’ll glue a lot of parts together, but the blade is two layers of 1/8" ply thick, and that requires a lot of clamps to keep it together while the glue sets.

Banana intentionally not included, go to the third post in this series to see that.

29 Likes

These are awesome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are very nice! I was looking at what was available on the web. Texas Knifemakers Supply seems to have a much smaller array of styles than I remember but it looks like there are more suppliers than I remember. I have been thinking of building some but should have decent casting stuff available as well, however I might get there yet.

1 Like

Another good one!

#ItWillKeel

2 Likes

Speaking of people studying their Agrippa…

This woman’s videos are really interresting, all about stage combat.