Wooden spiral staircase lasermade

It’s gorgeous, but I do wonder a little about the floor loading on that central piece… (Now I want to make one with cutouts. Hmm, if I were really stupid I sort of have a place for a spiral staircase…)

3 Likes

And illegal in some states.

3 Likes

Fun fact: Glowforge cofounder/CTO Mark built a CNC plasma torch in his garage to build a metal spiral staircase. (It’s gorgeous). Then he retrofitted it with a laser because hey, why not, and you know what happened next…

17 Likes

I say do it anyway. Who cares if it doesn’t go anywhere. It’s art!

7 Likes

I see no reason that a handrail couldn’t be added. The laser means you can calculate the curve geometry and lay up the rail with short, thin sections. Then just add some uprights. Could even do cutouts in the uprights to keep the open look. Use thin enough sheet and you could do some spirals or cloud shapes or a mural along the railing uprights.

5 Likes

For some reason i thought this was posted here, before but can’t find it. Must have been just seeing the original YouTube channel: HomeMadeModern. Ben Uyeda documents his design to execution very well. The handrail is in the works.

5 Likes

or you can use some poles as handrail an also they can be used also to join the wood on the stairs… yeah it probably look like a cage :sweat_smile: but safe :wink:

Using vertical poles to support a handrail would also lock in the alignment of the pieces. I wonder if you would even need glue.

1 Like

Yeah i know! I have seen a lot of things to do in the Glowforge I wasn’t sure if it was here or not… so I expended a full day searching in all the forum just to be sure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: … It is my first post, so I wanted to be sure :wink:

1 Like

This was cut on a CNC machine, and the wood was pretty thick compared to what you will be cutting on your glowforge. Im not exactly sure what thickness he was cutting, but it might take a few passes for a forge to make it through something a little thinner from just a visual inspection.

2 Likes

It was, here:

1 Like

I would just go with thinner material and more total layers. Means more glue applied by you instead of already present in the plywood. But not a big issue I imagine.

1 Like

-Thanks. So I wasn’t crazy. Just couldn’t find it in searches. It was a naked post.

2 Likes

You could always build a spiral and use it a bookshelf or a nice place to holds plants etc.

3 Likes

rails? Naw… make a giant acrylic tube !!!

(have fun trying to get anything wider than you up the stairs though…:confused:)

1 Like

My kid’s hamster has demonstrated how to carry things up a tube.

One second while I jam a sofa in my cheeks.

5 Likes

Pics, or it didn’t happen. :wink:

Lol, I just want to see some one fit a whole couch in there mouth. :smiley:

1 Like

keep an eye on the 1/12 bench thread for more information on this and other wonderful “stuffable” furniture.

Brought to you by: Glowforge!

2 Likes

Instead of using it as stairs, you could use it to display laser made creations!

4 Likes