Wooden Tie - Dallas Texas Temple

I wanted to try something kind of different for my husband for Father’s Day. Unfortunately, the storms knocked out my power and then the internet was down for two weeks. I finally got around to finishing my gift: A wooden necktie featuring the Dallas, Texas temple for our church.

I had to design my own svg of the temple first because - out of the hundreds of versions of the Dallas Temple - they were all weirdly out of proportion, or lacking the detail that I wanted. I got the impression that other people must have used the exact same oddly angled photo for their designs (or they copied each other’s) because they were all kind of wonky in the same way. It’s a really unique and beautiful building (We think the profile looks like a spaceship!)and makes the perfect focal point for the tie!

While designing it, I remembered why I don’t do this very often. The more simple the design looks, the more complicated it really turns out to be! The symmetry for this one is stunning to look at, but frustrating to get exactly right! Honestly, it looks so basic, but the hours put into it to make all of the cuts correctly were immense!

My hats off to you regular file designers! :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

The tie itself has been an adventure! I designed this one on my own after searching for something online and not finding anything I really liked. They all seemed bulky, heavy, and stiff. I really wanted to make sure it was long enough too, since my husband is over 6’3." Also, I wanted to do something more fun and detailed at the neck. Most versions out there are just a flat geometric shape - kind of alluding to the idea of it being tied. I love cleverly tied ones in real life, so I used the Eldredge Knot design here.

After printing all of the pieces and temporarily joining them, I wiggled it around to test for flexibility, and it has very natural movement! I really enjoyed using the grain of the wood as a design element. Just look at the way the grain works in that knot! :grin:

Now, for why I also labeled this a practical cut. I knew what I wanted for the neck attachment. (I don’t like the elastic strings versions.) I wanted something a little more substantial and classy; basically a bow tie-hook style.

But, of course, no one sells bow ties or bow tie hardware in local craft stores. I could buy a set of 100 on amazon, but I’m not even sure what I would do with that many! I’m not selling these ties, so I’m not trying to add even MORE stuff to my craft room! :laughing:

Enter Glowforge, again, for the rescue! I realized that I could use cheap dress hooks from the sewing section if they had a “base” to attach to. I printed my own slides and made a wooden base for the hook attachments.

In the end, using wood for the neck connector really made it so much more classy! Seeing how it all worked together was a pleasant surprise. If I do make more, I am definitely using this practical cut again! Plus, custom sizing the slide to the ribbon I had makes it really secure so the tie will not slip down from its own weight throughout the day (Even light proof grade materials are significantly heavier than cloth - whatcha gonna do?:woman_shrugging:)

My husband loves it, and I hope you enjoyed reading about it too!

36 Likes

Nice description. Is there a picture of the finished piece?

10 Likes

It published it before I could attach the pictures because I accidently touched the screen
It’s updated now. :wink:

11 Likes

Nice project and write up.

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing the info. It turned out great!

8 Likes

What a cool project! I love what you’ve done with the wood grain.

I never noticed the Dallas temple looks like a spaceship! :joy: (Our local temple looks like a birthday cake. :birthday:)

6 Likes

What temple is that?

3 Likes

Provo

3 Likes

It’s beautiful!

I love all things sci fi, I agree, it looks like a space ship!

6 Likes

I don’t understand the “flexibility” you have achieved. How are the pieces joined together and still flowable? Beautiful, though.

9 Likes

I was just coming to ask this exact question.

Can you tell us more about the tie itself - you said it’s flexible, so are you saying these are small pieces connected? I can’t picture how that was done. Are they attached to a base? (for example, something like a “regular” tie?) The only thing I can picture in my mind to make something like this flexible would be to either use living hinges (which clearly this doesn’t have) or to have them connected with something underneath, either fabric or little connector pieces that hold the front-facing pieces together tightly. lol
I’m intrigued!

7 Likes

This is actually quite beautiful! Kudos!! I enjoyed your write-up!

4 Likes

Great question!!
That’s the benefit of creating my own instead of buying someone else’s design.

It is glued to a fabric backing. …BUT (and this is where appearances are different than design!) The parts are only partially glued on. I’d say it’s around 75% area coverage on each tile concentrated at their center-of-mass. Meaning that each piece is not glued down at the edges. Since there is a very slight natural gap between pieces, with the “free” edges, they can shift, swing, & bend along it’s length! Brilliant, right!!

It’s one of my favorite design elements!

Here’s the fabric backing.

11 Likes

Here’s a short video of my wiggle test. I wanted to prove my concept before I glued everything permanently!

It has a really natural movement!

13 Likes

Wow, the movement is perfect! Great job. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Flingin’ flangin’ genius, if you ask me.

7 Likes

Wonderful!

5 Likes

Very cool indeed.

5 Likes

“Makes me want to wear a tie again”, he said with a smirk.

If you must wear one though, nothing like having an entirely novel concept tie.
Awesome project.

5 Likes

Exactly! Might as well do normal things differently in all cases.

Also, PLEASE tell me your username is a Diskworld reference!!!

4 Likes