Wooden "Urn"

Wow.

Mahogany, with Yellowheart and Walnut inlay, and engraving. An “urn” for the ashes of a battle buddy’s father.

A serious stretch of my skills, as well as under a time crunch. Despite flaws (I’m a perfectionist, I can’t help but see them), I’m pretty happy. Did some new things (engraving on already cut pieces YIPES). And did some things non-logical ways that did eventually work.

Construction:

Knotwork was chosen by the recipients, and edited by me to be cuttable without breaking.

Silhouette is from an actual older photo, adjusted and lifted and rebuilt to make a clear cuttable image.

Lake scene was drawn by me and engraved, when I couldn’t get the background of the photo (which was just water) to be laser functional.

Sign is sketched using a photo as reference.

30 hours of work (plus drying times for glue and poly) started with call on Thursday evening and needing to be in Wisconsin by the end of Tuesday. Involved a trip to the wood store for the mahogany (thank goodness they had the resaw table set up). Also, overnight shipping is RIDICULOUS.

Addendum:
Apparently the photos made the recipient cry in a good way, so I think I can breathe again.

57 Likes

It’s beautiful. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

that looks great. and the most important part, the recipient was thrilled.

stretching your skills is the only way they get better. sometimes you have to risk failure (i’m working on that mentality).

5 Likes

Beautiful.

2 Likes

Very beautiful. Well done.

2 Likes

It’s scary when it’s for something important for someone else! Especially on a time limit!

5 Likes

Really nice job and it was awesome of you to step up and provide something so great for them. You should be proud.

4 Likes

You made a wonderful and worthy tribute/memorial container for your friend’s father. Well done in so many ways. The family will treasure it for a lifetime.

4 Likes

That’s a wonderful creation. Great graphics. Just outstanding! The Yellowheart contrast ups the ante a ton. The colors just work so well together.

3 Likes

Was lucky to find a REALLY pretty piece of Mahogany with such nice grain!

Really beautiful piece! You might want to try using a UV light on it :grin:

1 Like

…why? Sadly I already mailed it this morning overnight, or I would! What’s it look like?

Yellowheart fluoresces very strongly. even in regular light with uv also would make the knotwork glow,

Ooh neat!

Try it on some of the scraps :sunglasses:

Great job on that! That certainly brings box making to the next level.

Some things are worth all the time, effort and money and what a beautiful thing you did for your friend and his father. Any flaws (real and/or imagined) make the piece more human. Perfection is boring.

3 Likes

I’m in awe. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

3 Likes

Inspiring!

2 Likes

Should stand out where ever it ends up.
Great job.

2 Likes