Wooden wine stoppers

“Whine” stoppers anyone? I feel like I just waisted 48hrs of my life trying to get this unit crest on one. The top three were engraved using 300s/6pp/450lpi. When I tried to do the same setting for the bottom three, I could hardly see the design so I tried to score them and this is what happened. I thought it may be the design, but I tested it on proof grade material and it scored beautifully. Any advice?

2 Likes

The bottom ones look like a different type of wood to me. Each material is going to have its own characteristics – what works on one type of wood might or might not work on another type.

A power of 6 is very, very light – I’m surprised it showed at all!

2 Likes

You are trying to engrave end grain on what looks like white oak. You have a variety of wood densities even in the same species and in the same piece of wood. The white higher density lines in the wood will engrave at a different depth than the wider, softer areas. The only advantage of end grain is that the rings are parallel to the laser which will give overall a more even result than side grain.

You will need to do some experimentation to get the settings just right. Note that Proofgrade is a thin wood veneer on something close to particle board. It has a uniform density and the laser engraves it the same because of that uniform density. This is why it looks so much better.

2 Likes

My mind is blown!!! :thinking: Thank you

2 Likes