"Wordy": My physical manifestation of the game Wordle

Black on white and red on white are also tough to work with.
Red on white smears red residue onto everything south of the laser head and black on white needs several passes

2 Likes

LOVE this project! What an awesome concept! And I found the same thing with the white on black acrylic with sticky edges. I thought it was just me.

2 Likes

This is awesome, and thanks for such a detailed explanation. I love detailed builds like this that are beautiful along with being so well-thought-out and executed. (Love the rit dye tip too!)

I hate the two toned black white acrylic too, and red is just as bad. Something else to consider using is just regular white acrylic and spray paint. Just mask the acrylic sheet, engrave all the letters at once, spray paint, and then put back in the machine to cut out the individual pieces in one fell swoop.

I also found this really helpful when I do have to use the layered stuff.

5 Likes

Oh I read this today (Tuesday) and was surprised that you would have gotten it in two guesses. :smiley: Then I realized it says that you posted that 22h ago. lol

1 Like

Looks great! Usually these things go from old school physical to electronic.

2 Likes

A lot of work went into that. Looks great

3 Likes

Great idea and execution! Nice job! Love wordle!

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, Tuesday’s was tough!

2 Likes

Just so you know if you stop using Premium on the Glowforge you won’t be able to do something as simple as put text onto something. Thats how they get Ya.

It’s easy to upload whatever file you want with text in it. You can easily add text only to a design already on your screen, or an entire design with custom text on it. Inkscape is free. I’ve also heard people have used Canva to design - I haven’t myself but that could possibly work, too, and is free.

3 Likes

I know this and I can do it no problem I just think that it is wrong for Glowforge to take something away that came with your machine long before they made a subscription. It’s not right and I hope they go BANKRUPT!!!

I think you are speaking to the wrong audience, I’m sorry.

Wait, what? You can’t leave us hanging! Crispr?

2 Likes

:grin: Yes, I have done (unsuccessful) CRISPR/Cas-9 experiments. My biohacking is mostly centered around altering yeast to produce hoppy/citrusy flavors without hops (which are water intensive to grow). So it serves yet another hobby, brewing beer. These two don’t get as much time these days as my machining/“making” hobbies, but I do have a nice qPCR machine. That used to be an obscure device, but thanks to Covid, everyone knows what a PCR test is now. I can run them in my garage!:test_tube:

3 Likes

Can you say you’ve done CRISPR if your attempt(s) were unsuccessful? :grin:

Have you seen this one?

1 Like

Great write-up! I’ve always loved word games.

A really awesome job on this.

2 Likes

What will also work on coloring your letter tiles is alcohol ink. I have used it for years on acrylic and you can really do some fun effects if you choose to. To try it out, grab some of the alcohol inks by Ranger/Tim Holtz. If you go on Tim’s blog, he will have videos on how to apply them, blend them and get some really fun effects with them. There are metallic ones as well. You will need there applicator which is basically a wooden stamp, with velcro on it, which hold the rectangular thin felt pieces that you put the ink on. If you enjoy those, you can branch out to Copic marker refills. There are well over 200 colors anything that you can do with the original Tim Holtz alcohol inks, you can do with the Copic marker refills. The Copic pens are also fun to play with. They have a bullet end and a thinner end. They work on any non-porous material. Feel free to DM if you’d like more info. I worked at a rubber stamp store for 23 years and took classes from Tim and am Copic certified. Your Wordy board is way cool so I don’t want you to have to work any harder than you have to do.

3 Likes

I’m assuming you need to seal after applying the alcohol ink, is that right?

1 Like

Incredible work figuring out how to really make it playable. The organizers and the details are really great.