Worlds Within the Walls Part 3 (Booknooks)

Continuing the trend of finding more of this every few months and, starting a whole new thread:

Apparently, these are being called “booknooks” and, there is a Reddit community dedicated to them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/booknooks/

This hit BoingBoing by way of Buzzfeed this morning:

20 Likes

Yeah I saw these again and was line “oh yeah I really would like one”, but then I realized that that would be hard and I went back to my corner.

7 Likes

That is such a cool idea. Never saw that before. Thanks for pointing it out!!

2 Likes

Maybe doing one of these would help to scratch my “I want to build a dollhouse” itch until we’re living in our own place again!

3 Likes

Really cool art. Love it.

A really fantastic idea, I have visions of putting a slightly convex mirror in the back so it appears to get bigger as you go back. Then I see the framed Charles Dickens in that book next to the design and thinking another convex 90% mirror that looking through the frame would allow the rest to make it an infinite mirror that would expand through the distance, :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

OK I need to do one right now! They are really cool!

2 Likes

Those are really cool! So many possibilities. . .

1 Like

Those are so cool. I think maybe that needs to be a long term project, worked on a little bit at a time. It seems to me, Etsy would have a ton of dollhouse plans for such things… ideas and inspiration are precious. Thank you.

3 Likes

No, build the dollhouse now!

1 Like

Well, we DO have the space here… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You are a BAD influence!

2 Likes

Look where else are you going to put all those perfect little chairs otherwise? Be practical!

2 Likes

Very cool. But also looks very hard. Not sure I have the patience to tackle one.

2 Likes

Who knew this was a thing. I feel behind seeing my bookshelves without one of these. Hmmm…maybe this is a rabbit hole to jump down.

4 Likes

I did the drawings for the special effects in Diagon Alley at Universal Orlando. That would be a perfect prototype of a place to base a project like this.

7 Likes

Dang, if I had THAT on my resume it would be like the first thing I worked into a conversation with anyone, not something I sprung on them two years down the road! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Overall not a huge thing as what I did was minor compared to much more done on much less famous cases, but I did get to see the rest of the drawings and plans at the time. Like work with Disney could not keep representative samples of my work so only failing memory to go by.

This is a tiny piece of a much larger project…
SECTION_fb.pdf (872.4 KB)

That I did every line (including the columns) from scratch

Found this…
Rio_front
A front elevation by the architect that I had to do in cad, I did much in 3d.

9 Likes

You’ve been hiding a very fun light under a bushel!

4 Likes

So fun!!!

@rbtdanforth can’t believe you held that back from us!

4 Likes

I think I posted this link a while back but that starts when I was doing 3D Max after many years in Autocad, and 20 years before that as Barefoot Goldsmith and other artwork.

6 Likes