Worth more or less

I teach a course on computer security. Part of the course includes identifying how much you’re worth to identity thieves. I usually give a small prize to the person who’s worth the most and the person who is worth the least. This time, I made the prizes.

Today, I played with inlaid acrylic on medium maple (all PG). I inserted the acrylic into a wooden coin. Since the acrylic is almost the same thickness as the wood, you can see it from both sides. It took me 2 tries to get the fit just right (kerf is a beast!), but I didn’t need any glue – they are so tightly in there that there’s no chance of them popping out accidentally.

The picture shows 6 of my wooden coins. Half show the fronts and half show the backs. (And yes, the joke is that I call the least valuable person in the class “worthless”.)

38 Likes

Very cool! Wood and acrylic inlay is one of my favorite combinations. And yes, kerf is a fickle mistress. Just when I think I have her all figured out, I try some new material and she says “nope!” lol

3 Likes

Oh, I really like that look. Some time ago I got samples of all the PG acrylic colors, but haven’t done anything with them yet. Your example inspires me!

3 Likes

Thumbs up from here. My list of to do in future keeps growing.

1 Like

Wow! I love the inlay! And getting it to show on both sides is a great idea!