Wounded Bird Frame

Greetings -

Just wanted to drop a little pre Super Bowl project. I’d call it a GF assist. Anyway, let’s go -

The Ex gave me this piece of Steampunk art years ago and I love it, but it’s been in a plain old frame the whole time.

And I forgot, there’s a nice thank you message from the artist included, but it’s been inside the backing, so you can’t see it.

Let’s fix both. Take it apart and measure for frame to 3D print -

I ran across this frame on MakerWorld, free download site for 3D printing. I shrunk it down and printed in ‘Copper’ with black rivets and cross members -

The Art was about 200mm square, and the frame pocket about 216mm square. So thin bezel mat on front and a two section mat for the thank you card on the back.

Also printed a little nail ledge for wall hanging and will glue to the back.

Time to glue and assemble. I sandwiched the art between layers of construction paper matting, so the glue attaching frame and acrylic doesn’t contact it.

And here it is, I’m quite satisfied!

Thanks for checking it out,
HL

43 Likes

Love it!

7 Likes

Cool results!

7 Likes

Cool frame, and I’m sure you’re loving the new home for your art. Nice job.

6 Likes

That frame is just so right! Thanks for the photos & writeup.

6 Likes

That’s great. Love the extra care and presentation of a great piece

5 Likes

Very nice!

3 Likes

That looks great!

3 Likes

Great project!

3 Likes

I think that this is a beautifully perfect and lovely frame too! Was any of it constructed on your glowforge?

Wow, that came out super nice. I love the ruler-like corners and copper finish—totally enhances the art.

2 Likes

Thanks all!

Yes, four layers of matting were all cut on the GF -

Black frame around Print (front).
White full layer under print & black mat frame (not shown).
White inset ‘revel’ around thank you card.
Blue face mat around thank you card (Back).

I also used the GF premium subscription (insert shape) to draw, size and cut the matting. Super easy!

HL

4 Likes

I love both the original artwork and the new and improved frame you made for it! The new frame complements the art style so well. Great job!

2 Likes

What an upgrade!

4 Likes

Nice frame for a special object of art.

6 Likes