Wow, the dremel is $7K

Hmphh! I visited Versailles many years ago - it created a burning desire for formal topiary that has led to half a lifetime of shrubbery frustration. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™ll have to try the virtual tours - might be fun. I didnā€™t know they were available.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll have to check those out!

Thatā€™s too funny. All I could think was that Iā€™d be down for some beheadings if I was starving and my queen was out in her fake village pretending to be poor. Could she have been any more out of touch?

1 Like

The nation-wide franchise is pretty fantastic, too. Weā€™ve got five locations here in Vegas. Literally the best pizza Iā€™ve ever tasted.

1 Like

Tested has posted a video discussion at the Dremel booth at Maker Faire:

1 Like

Interesting that they mention Dremel is ā€œThe First U.L. approved laser cutter in the marketā€

1 Like

And that there wasnā€™t a UL standard for lasers until they developed it with UL :slightly_smiling_face:

so itā€™s exactly the same price as the pro glowforgeā€¦ not sure why that is a wow though.

Their $2K filter takes their MSRP to $1K more than the GF Pro w/ filter.
They appear to have no model close to the GF Basic nor Plus in price.

Many expected a more consumer friendly price from Dremel.
Either way, more players in this market will only improve the overall landscape!

2 Likes

yea the glowforge basic MSRP was $4K when they launched the crowdfunding as wellā€¦ look how that one turned out. Currently the pro and it are the same price; the only difference currently being 5 theoretical watts of power. Actual performance difference we will have to see.

It sounds like it was predicated on some of the safety features they built in. Given all the safeties the Glowforge has Iā€™d be surprised if theyā€™re not pursuing UL listing as well.

To eachā€™s own I guess. There are features in the Dremel that are better then the Glowforge. And the other hand there are features better on the Glowforge than the Dremel.

The big glaring differences to me are the local network operation and a physical network connection. The option to save material settings and recall them later. But then the Glowforgeā€™s imaging tech. captures the entire bed vs. stitching images (granted, they donā€™t have to de-warp the image or worry about aberrations at the edge of the image. ) Then you have the tube replacement. On the Dremel is pretty clear cut. On the Glowforge, thou they say its possible. But no explanation on how. The tube is wider then the top opening. Which youā€™ll have to laterally tilt the Y axis 45 degrees and all the supporting hardware that would have to be moved/removed or remove the top side panels. vs a long cover on the rear of the machine.

If I had to pick all over again and both these machines were available for purchase immediately, Weā€™d prolly say with the Glowforge due to the Proofgrade (as in drop and use- not the materials as a whole.) Mind you that was not an option from day one. But it does make it semi-turnkey. The only negative currently is the aggressive thermal management. That is driving me nuts.

I wish they would enable the promised day one features. But that a whole other conversation.

3 Likes

Theyā€™ve claimed that they are pursuing NRTL certification for US models, but the units that have already been delivered are definitely not (which actually makes them unsuitable for use in commercial or educational settings).

Most of the safety features in the Glowforge are software based, and will not likely pass muster for NRTL use. There are only a few that are accomplished purely in hardware. And, most of the nifty sensors are not actually being used for any safety purposes at the moment.

2 Likes

I am struggling to think of one out of the actually delivered features.

The shade being thrown at the price is understandable, but there does seem to be some value added, notably the cooling unit and the locally hosted software. Hard to compare filters since nobody has seen the Glowforgeā€™s, which right there might be worth something.

The fact that theyā€™ll give you a preorder discount but not charge you until they ship sounds pretty good to me here at Month 32 and counting.

1 Like

Is that an active chiller? When I saw it in NY last year they told me it was a reservoir and not a chiller so itā€™s not that much different than the 5 gal bucket of water attached to my K40 except less liquid. The guy didnā€™t know if it was something other than water in it that might have a higher thermal load factor than water.

It was 1/4 the size of the chiller on the Redsail and itā€™s also supposed to house the air pump now right?

Iā€™m really interested in the magic involved there.

1 Like

My issue is that while there are definitely some better things, there are some that arenā€™t that greatā€¦ less powerful laser (comparable to the much less expensive GF basic) and lower clearance in material height are two biggies. Software can be upgraded over time to add new features, but hardware specs arenā€™t going to change after purchase. At this price, you can purchase another solid system that will offer better hardware specs, albeit with less nifty software.

In the end, though, my reaction is because I was hoping theyā€™d come in with a lower cost base unit so hobbyists would have another great option. $7K is a hobbyist with a whole lot of cash to spare.

1 Like

People said that. I found it to be only ok pizza, overpriced, ssllloooowww, and nonexistant service. (After asking and waiting for 15 minutes, My sister stood up, marched over to the bar, and picked up the pitcher to refill our water.)

Well one to NYC.

Pizza is actually one of those foods thereā€™s no agreement on :slightly_smiling_face: you tend to like the stuff best thatā€™s like what you grew up on. Thatā€™s why northeners moving to the South and open pizza places tend to close quickly - itā€™s what they like, not what the natives will. :yum:

For truly erratic service try Lombardiā€™s in NYC. Itā€™s either great or non-existent.