Wow! This is weird!

I can remember going over near the Great Lakes region for the first time, and finally realizing where the term “Sheets of rain” came from.

Probably happens anywhere coastal. But growing up in a valley in the middle of a mountain range it was quite a new phenomenon.

4 Likes

Driving down the pike ( as we call it here in Mass. ) years ago…we ran into a shower for about 100 ft. or so…amazing !

4 Likes

You did that with a sprinkler :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Didn’t! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sounds like a RAH short story I read :grin:

2 Likes

Which one? (Heinlein was one of my favorite authors.)

3 Likes

Trying to remember but the character walked out one door and it was raining but looked out the window or went out another door and the sky was clear with no rain

Hmmmn! Oh well, I’ll probably run across it again…I re-read most of my books until they fall apart.

Stranger in a Strange Land is a particular favorite that he wrote.

2 Likes

Found it:

“They”

3 Likes

I don’t remember it, but I do have that collection of short stories (Jonathon Hoag) - I’ll have to go look it up!

Later update: Okay read it…now I am not going to sleep tonight.

2 Likes

Cool :slightly_smiling_face: Do you know about “Variable Star”?

2 Likes

Nope, don’t have that one listed in the bibliotheca…is it a short story?

(Got one named Double Star - it might have that one in it. So many of the SF authors clump them together when they re-publish, which has caused me to blow a wad of money over the years on stuff i already have.) :smirk:

1 Like

It was a story started by RAH then finished by Spider Robinson after Robert passed.

1 Like

Nope, wouldn’t have it then. Is it any good?

Have not read it yet, don’t want to read my last Heinlein book :sob:

3 Likes

Yup! Felt the same when Asimov passed. :cry:

3 Likes

And I when Sir Terry Pratchett passed. GNU!

5 Likes

“And He Built a Crooked House”, I think. And then ultimately the house disappears. I remember that from when I devoured my high school’s SF library one exam week…

4 Likes

It’s very good. Robinson did a great job with RAH’s notes and outlines. Really honored his style and voice.

Unlikely hero… Check.
Strong female lead… Check.
In-depth knowledge of sport/art… Check.
Internally-consistent physics… Check.
All maths spot-on… Check.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Good…I’ll check it out when I’m done kerfing. :wink:

2 Likes