Writing on finished wood?

Question for the hive mind - I gifted someone a cutting board made from various hardwoods and finished with Walrus Oil Wood Wax. All well and good, but I was asked to sign and date it. Normally I’d use my laser for this, but I’m 1,000 miles from my shop this weekend (but ironically only four frustrating miles from Glowforge HQ). Any suggestions of a pen/pencil/??? that would work on waxed hardwoods?

I’ve read that Sakura Gelly Roll pens might work, but this is a needs-to-work-the-first-time situation. :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Are you near a Joann or library that has a GF?

3 Likes

I don’t know about pens, but wonder if you could get your hands on an inexpensive wood burning pen to do the job.

7 Likes

Is the board for show or use?

Maybe fight fire with fire? Use a wax pencil.

If it doesn’t, then it should wipe off.

4 Likes

Me too!!! (Except more like 2000 miles in the first instance.)

I kinda don’t think any sort of pen is going to stay put very well, but if it just can’t wait until you can get it to your Glowforge, then maybe a Sharpie.

2 Likes

If I were that close to GF Central, I would be compelled to hit Dan or Rita up for a short meet and beg use of a machine for a few minutes while you introduce yourself.

Even if I didn’t have need of an engraving I couldn’t get that close to the mother ship without wanting to at least eyeball the office and bang on the window. :grin:

5 Likes

Covid is still a thing :grimacing: we have a strict no visitors policy in our office

3 Likes

I would be very worried about burning wax in any case. If you have access to a v-carve, that would work best. Then you could stain just that and no-place else. Surely there must be folks you know here that are close, and can help if they DM you.

2 Likes

I did exactly that about four years ago. :grinning:

3 Likes

How about a nameplate? Maybe brass? A quick trip to Home Depot and do a electro-etch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.