YAPP (Yet Another Practical Project) —Disk Rack

Something like this would work nicely for saw blades as well. There’s even enough room on the front to label the slots.

5 Likes

I set myself the goal of learning Cuttle by converting this design to a parametric version.

Enjoy!

18 Likes

Wow, much thanx and that had to be quite the learning experience! Now I am actively looking for a use case since I can have it in any material and you did this.

6 Likes

Go to town!

4 Likes

That’s fabulous! I was thinking I could use this for sawblades, but I didn’t need the wide sections so I put it on the backburner as something I might modify - you’ve just brought it front and center!

7 Likes

Because of our newest dog, who believes EVERYTHING is a chew toy, I had to order some cabinets from Home Depot to try to store everything in my craft room. Love the cabinets, but I can see I really need to make some of the different storage racks, etc., as there is so much space between shelves that it has a lot of wasted room. So thankful I have a GF to make what I need!

But my first project was designing pegs for the little pegboards in the doors. I have some little metal pegs, but they’re too small and rattle around. And because the doors can’t take much weight, and the holes are so different from regular pegboard (rows of 2), I made some that work perfect. They’re nice and small, approximately 1.25" tall. Using 1/4" acrylic, the tabs fit perfectly in the holes but are still easy to get in and out.

Now to decide what kind of shelving units to make! Woohoo! Love having a GF!

9 Likes

And because Maggie thinks she needs to grab everything out of the trash cans, I made covers for them. The look better painted black to match the trash cans. They just slide down over the top, so very easy to remove to empty the cans. She doesn’t even try anymore. Yay!

13 Likes

What do you do when you have a lot of HD birch just sitting on a shelf? I decided to use it as “test pieces” and designed myself a rack to hold all my craft paints in my cabinets. It gets them off a little CD rack I had sitting on the fireplace (I was afraid Maggie Dog would eventually see them and try to grab them) and allowed me to hold all of the 2oz acrylic paints I currently have. I’m really pleased with how it turned out. It holds 60 paints, with another 10 on the ground level, and I can read the color names on each one! It took me a couple trys, between making backs for each row (which I found unnecessary after all), forgetting to put a notch in a middle “side” for the shelves, etc. Once I got it all together, it is super strong, doesn’t wobble, and is just perfect to fit in my cabinet sideways so it doesn’t take up much room. I found I had a couple multiples of a few paint colors, and just laid them down underneath. It’s by no means perfect, but I’m super happy with it.

I’m working on getting better at designing. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Great rack! I thought the photo was taken in a Michaels store!

5 Likes

Gee, thanks! Maybe I should try to do one in draftboard and submit it to the catalog. It’s about the only PG material I have, except some PG light cherry. I don’t have any thick PG materials at all, which I think just makes for a nicer, sturdier unit. I don’t think the light ply would be sturdy enough, and of course, I could paint the draftboard to make it look nicer. Think it would be something people might want?

4 Likes

Based on how well a few simple practical designs of mine have done, I think you’d be shocked at how well this would do. I , personally don’t need this much paint storage but if I did I’d be begging you to submit it.

7 Likes

Absolutely!

3 Likes

Thanks @markevans36301 and @cynd11. I’ll make one out of draftboard and see if it’s sturdy enough. If so I’ll submit it. If not, I’ll order some PG and then submit it. The nice thing about this design is you can make it as long as you want. I did mine to fit my cabinet, but it could also be shorter in length so it wouldn’t hold as many paints. Maybe I’ll make one half-width.

Think I’ll also make another with wider shelves, as I have some Sherwin Williams paints that I put into 8 oz honey bottles, so they need wider shelves.

3 Likes

I think that Draftboard is perfect for this and if the medium won’t hold the weight I’d just go to the thick Draftboard.

4 Likes

I made a smaller one that holds 30 paints (plus 6 more on ground level) out of draftboard. It was just accepted into the catalog!!

6 Likes

I’ll take a look as soon as it drops.

3 Likes

Decided to add my practical cut here rather than make a new thread. It’s not impressive, but i was tired of seeing this bag at my entrance:

It looks messy, takes up space, and it’s the first thing people see when they walk in. Here in Tokyo, if you take your dog out to use the bathroom, there are no trash cans to throw away dog waste. And you are not allowed to throw away the poo in the burnable trash at your house. You have to flush the waste, and then throw the plastic bag in the burnables.

So i bought this giant bag of waste bags from amazon. They have a flushable tissue that you pull out and flush with no mess- when we moved here, i had a costco stockpile of “green” dog bags, which was very gross to empty into the toilet.

Anyways, staring at this bag was starting to get to me. So i made a simple dispenser today. The bags are still near the front door for me to grab while taking the dog out, but it looks cleaner. I made it out of acrylic because i was worried the wood may tear the tissues when i pull the bags from the bottom.

17 Likes

Oh, very nice—it does look way better. And the doggie handle is a nice touch.

5 Likes

So many clever and useful ideas!!!

3 Likes

I’ve been dipping into stone stuff over the years. Not gems. More beach-stone stuff. Where is that emoji that drools? Five drooling emojis right here!

4 Likes