YAPP (Yet Another Practical Project) —Disk Rack

Here’s a couple of items I whipped up for husband Christmas presents. They are storage racks for the various 6” diameter lapidary disks he uses. The larger gap ones (about 0.6 inches apart) are for the grinding/polishing machine, and the thin gap ones are for the saw blades for the stone saw.

The design is similar for the two racks, and is based on this bent steel one I found online.

I glued little wooden cubes cut from square wooden dowels under the arches for reinforcement.

My design uses minimal material and minimal space compared to the one I created a few years ago (I never did post that one, but it was what I used these triangle gluing jigs for), and was much easier to glue. So if he needs any more, I won’t mind making them.

41 Likes

Wow, makes me wish I was still cutting gems! Very nice practical cut.

11 Likes

I definitely appreciate the very niche practicality of this project, but must admit…personally I like most of all the new category name…YAPP. :clap: :grin:

15 Likes

Great idea! Turned out nice!

8 Likes

Nice piece of organization For the shop!
In addition to my saws, I have put many miles on this thing.

Mostly turquoise and opal. Mine has 2 grinding wheels in the middle, 100 and 220 grit.
The trim saw blade you show there is the only diamond blade I have that will cut you!

10 Likes

All my disks like that were 6" inches but the hard rubber disks for my potter’s wheel were up to 24" with most around 12. For many folks, a wide pot will at least threaten to fall in. However if the piece is left to harden up while upside down when fired the force and balance is picked up by the eye so the pieces seem like they are ready to float away.
bluebowlsbrnbowls2
It would have been nice to have such a place like that.

9 Likes

I love how the GF can make so many practical things - as long as you have the ability to design them! This one is great! And I agree with @Xabbess = YAPP needs to be a new section for discussion!

9 Likes

This! This is why I am such an ambassador for learning to design your stuff. Sure there are thousands of cute little things in the catalog and 100s of thousands other places but when you need a YAPP © you’d better be able to slog out a design.

And yes, YAPP is a thing now. :grinning:

13 Likes

Agreed. And I’m trying to learn. My biggest YAPP so far is the rotating floss holder (which made the catalog!) I’m working on a large counted cross-stitch pattern and have 21 colors. I used to keep my floss on a large ring made for it, but because some of the holes in my bobbins were smaller, it was too hard to move them to get to the one I wanted, so I figured out my holder. It may have been simple for others to do, but for me, it took some time and testing to get the holes and design right.

Easier things I’ve done are just simple dividers for some of my kitchen drawers. But I’m learning how fun it is to try. I’ve always worried about wasting materials, but now I’m to the point of “oh well, it’s just materials.”

9 Likes

Because my mind is broken I envisioned a lazy Suzanne for dental floss until I read further.

:crazy_face:

9 Likes

Such a satisfaction to solve a need.
I am amazed at the tools available to me. Just trying to keep up with this technology curve is difficult.

8 Likes

So very true. Fusion 360 (my drug of choice) has evolved so much since I started using it. My 3d printer is badly obsolete despite not being all that old, and my latest CNC has so many features I thought I was starting over. It even has an automatic tool changer! Just a few years ago that was just not going to happen in your home unless you were very affluent.

9 Likes

Automatic tool changing? Science fiction not so long ago for the home shop… :crazy_face: Our robotic overlords are encroaching.
A wonderful time to be alive and witness this tech evolution.

8 Likes

Oh, the ATC isn’t all, laser surface mapping making one-off printed circuit boards, and several other things practical that never were before.

10 Likes

IKR? Good thing these kids give us something to do with ourselves.

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: Yeah, I probably should’ve called embroidery thread holder. :smile:

9 Likes

TIL what a lapidary disk is. Neat. Great rack, btw!

7 Likes

Reminds me of when I took a photography class, back when 35mm B/W film in canisters was the going concern. The students thought the film was expensive (use it sparingly); our instructor showed us his portfolio and said, “You will find film is your cheapest material, use it liberally. Patience is the costly element, develop as much as you can.”

13 Likes

Hey, that’s a Clever Susan! Susan wasn’t lazy, she was clever. So was Kate, the spinner.

7 Likes

Excellent project - you got me thinking… a dangerous thing :slight_smile:

5 Likes