Yellowheart fluoresces

I’ve actually done this out of curiosity. results were boring as one would hope.

We actually have some anodized aluminum that instead of a color, is done in a dye that fluoresces. I’ll see if I can find/take some pictures later.

2 Likes

Horrible phone pictures, but you get the idea.

How they look under regular light. The UV anodization is a clear/milky color. If you didn’t know what they looked like with nothing, you’d probably think there was nothing on them, but side by side with a plain one, it becomes obvious. Etched with the GF, you get a light marking one them like this

Put under a BL, and the markings show up much better, and everything looks like this.

11 Likes

I once had a class in anodizing and it is not all that hard particularly if you can have a setup you can leave like a set of cabinets you can just leave when not in use. All it was structurally was a battery charger with a car ignition coil to smooth out the waves and a number of glass tanks with tops for each different color and a clear stop.

By putting the material slowly you could even get a gradient and do so again upside down and you get that gradient between two colors.

2 Likes

UV sensitive anodization. Baller.

1 Like

Well I just now got my UV light and sure enough the Yellowheart screamed which was great as I had no idea it was yelluwheart but was one of many whitish woods, but there was so much more! Suddenly all those generic white woods differed a lot, the white glue that was not sanded away stuck out like a sore thumb. Maple was much brighter than poplar, but the really special treat was redheart that went from barely discernible from paduk to amazingly rich incredible colors,

zebra wood also fluoresces.

3 Likes

Really? I do have a piece but I don’t remember seeing it glow. I’ll have to go back and double check.

1 Like

Many, including Zebra wood are not a glow that smacks you in the face the way Yelloheart does but several pieces that appear the same color in regular light are very different in the new flashlight i have that is not really dark but contains a lot of uv. much of it is subtle but like Zebra wood the color differences in the dark and light is much sharper as the light areas kick back more light and the dark bands do not;

2 Likes

Wow another discovery… this I think is redheart in normal light

and uv-light blurry but,
veryquick ss I am going out soon but near burns a bright red glow

1 Like

Yeah I posted redheart pics a few days ago:

1 Like

There is a good list of all that fluoresces…
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/fluorescence-a-secret-weapon-in-wood-identification/

3 Likes

Check out even the Broccoli !

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.