Yes, this is another Clip Path question!

Hi Everyone! I’ve been designing files for over a year now and this is the first time that I encounter this. The ‘file contains a clip path, it has been changed to a path’ message. It still cuts, engraves and scores perfectly fine, which is not the issue. I am wanting to sell this digital file (12 of them in total, most have this message, but not all) I don’t want this message to appear to the customers who buy these files. I design in Inkscape. Is there any way to find this hidden clip path so that I can easily fix this?

I’m not a designer, so that I can’t help you with, but I see that often on almost all of the files I buy, so I don’t think I’d worry about it too much. My opinion anyway.

1 Like

It’s happened to me, too…many, many times. I just “ignore” it in the UI and everything comes out just fine. I think there’s a way to make a file without a clip path, but I don’t know how to do it. Maybe someone who knows will post here. I make my own designs and don’t buy any, so not sure how that would affect a buyer.

1 Like

I copy my final design elements and paste into a new, empty file. I don’t sell (or buy) anything either but I just like to get rid of the notification.

I’ve never actually used clips or masks so it’s interesting how they just appear in the file.

3 Likes

Seems like the only times it happens is when I switch back and forth from editing in Affinity Design over to Affinity Photo and do some tweaking on something like a photo (saturation, exposure, etc) that they end up staying in the finished image and then show up as as a clip path in the UI. I’ve never been sure if ignoring it is actually removing any editing that I had done or not. It’s annoying but has been that way for a long time and I just figured out how to deal with it. The other way is to export it with all the adjustments as a new image, then drag that back into my design in Affinity. Just takes more time.

Does this old tip help?

If anyone has an example file with this problem, I enjoy spelunking into SVGs and poking at the code to try to figure out what’s happening. Feel free to post an example and I’ll spelunk away.

2 Likes

jestelle, I like your use of the word “spelunk”! :+1:

3 Likes

I often have that message and I know the reason why (at least in my cases.) I often cut down an image file with a copy of the cut vector when creating a new raster image, I usually just leave them hidden in the Inkscape file so I can retrieve them later. But if the group is frozen and not the vector I will get a complaint from the GFUI when I upload even though the line is hidden, and of course it does not show up in that case. If you have only hidden the raster that the line clipped then it will show up.

I frequently have a large raster and use clips to cut it to the desired size in each of often several pieces using the clip to cut each size I need.

I agree that in selling the design it would be best to copy and paste only the final bits.

1 Like

I don’t use Inkscape, but I’ll check out Affinity to see if there’s any corresponding command in there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.