Yet Another New Glowforge Owner

I did not see any categories to place this so I thought I would place it here.

I want to thank all for the various topics in this community. I have been going through them and getting everything setup.

Glowforge is working, just working on the venting as cutting produces a lot of odor. I think it is the connection from the GF to the hose. Waiting on Amazon orders based on what has gone before here in the community.

Thanks for the helpful older posts.

18 Likes

Welcome to the community. When I first set up the glowforge, my cat decided to have a go at the exhaust hose. Some duct tape helped the holes he created, but I honestly never got around to replacing it :rofl:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Yeah, once you get the exhaust path completely closed, the only time you should get a little whiff is when you open the lid after a print… they are pretty amazing little machines.
(Three and a half years using one for me.)

Have fun with it! Can’t wait to see what you make! :grinning:

4 Likes

I found a really neat answer to that question that involves a bottle of V-8.

2 Likes

This is the perfect spot and welcome. YANGFO posts never get old. Welcome to the fray.

4 Likes

I have been following the posts for venting. I have an inline fan to help. Taped almost all the place things join except the GF exhaust.

Any place an air purifier/filter next to their machine? I have a small area one one on a desk next to the GF. It has the auto feature that goes green (good), blue (stuff in air), red (lots of stuff in air) and it goes red almost as soon as it start cutting.

I am curious if the indicator is a good measure of leakage. Has anyone used these to test the air quality near the GF?

I don’t have one of those, but to me that sounds like you still need to tighten things up a bit. I had to seal the hose right at the Glowforge with aluminum duct tape to cut the smell down. You’d be amazed at how the tiniest opening makes a difference.

1 Like

I have a “Canary” home security thing that also monitors air quality. It happens to live a few feet away from the machine. I have also always run an inline duct fan - a 4" pretty much since I got the GF, a 6" since the exhaust fan failed.

I’ve never had any odor from my machine, and I’ve never used any tape to seal up any connections. My hose-machine connection is a slip-fit, because I remove it whenever the machine is not in-use (it runs across the floor because the machine is in the middle of the living space.)

The Canary has never registered anything while the GF is printing. It does, however, alert if I burn something on the stove, about 25’ away.

The point here is that having an inline fan which places the system under lower pressure completely eliminates any odor from the machine or ducting.

As a follow up, I think i have everything well vented. From the start I decided to use an AC Infinity. I saw people using a blast gate so thought I would use it, since the window insert is pretty tight and difficult to take in and out.

The blast gate was the major leak. when open I could feel the leak. I had it right before the window. Also the connection to the GF was weak. I was able to find something that connected to it tighter without wrapping it with tape.

1 Like

If you move the blast gate to the GF side of the Infinity the pull from the fan should keep anything from leaking out of the blast gate seams.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.