Yet another picture frame

This one is more like a traditional frame, with the 8"x10" picture fitting into the back side, and a 1/4" overhang on the front side. It’s made of three 1/8" plywood layers. There’s a hole for hanging, and small pilot holes for screws for turn buttons.

Thanks to @evansd2 for inspiration on the corner joints (“Planar butt jointing techniques”)!

The joined pieces in the corners might seem to be made of different types of wood due to the visible contrast. Not so! The difference in lightness and darkness is a natural lighting effect. Since the pieces are at right angles to each other, light reflects differently off the grain, creating the illusion of contrast.

frame-share

42 Likes

Oh wow, what a wonderful design! Thanks so much for sharing it. I’ve got a nice piece of Padauk that would work very well…

16 Likes

That is lovely! Those corners joints are super neat. Did you adjust the design for kerf at all? They look like such a perfectly tight fit!

14 Likes

This looks so classy. You can never have too many picture frames!

11 Likes

yes, did adjust for kerf when I cut. (The attacked files are not adjusted. )

10 Likes

sweet, thanks for the share. love the corner details.

11 Likes

That’s really pretty! Thanks for sharing!

11 Likes

Not just another picture frame. The details add so much. Thank you!

12 Likes

That’s gorgeous! That planar butt jointing techniques thread is one I keep bookmarked with the idea that someday I’ll come up with a reason (and gumption) to try it!
You absolutely nailed it :heavy_heart_exclamation:

12 Likes

I too love those corners!

Thanks for sharing!!

10 Likes

Thank you, @Purplie! I love your designs, and you always share so generously.

9 Likes

Wow! Thank you for sharing! It’s beautiful!

6 Likes

Is that the frame you used on your cat puzzle you just posted about? Love it! And thank you so much for the wonderful share (on both!).

5 Likes

Is that the frame…?

Yes, with a stain.

5 Likes

Nice, nice.

7 Likes

Love, love this frame. Are there any download files for it?

4 Likes

Yes :slight_smile: ! Right-click on the schematic in the original post above, and “Save”. It’s an SVG file. You’ll need to:

1. Separate the pieces from each other (in the file, the pieces are interlocked to demonstrate the final assembly). Make sure to drag the screw holes along with the pieces.
  2. Apply kerf adjustment, so that the pieces will interlock snugly.
5 Likes

Excellent, thank you for sharing this, Purplie :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I love the front joints.

9 Likes