You can't just run around with your Nefertitis hanging out!

Wait, it’s springtime, and he’s making Egyptian puns, must be time for the passover name tags. So now that I have the Prusa XL 5-tool, making multicolor prints is a thing, so my wife said it had to be some sort of egyptian thing. Now we’ve already done the great pyramid cutaway ones, so I remembered the bust of Nefertiti. I did the filament painting in Prusaslicer and used all 5 colors. All told each one took 8 hours with 423 tool changes, although the waste is pretty small since unlike the filament switching printers it only needs a small priming strip. The names on her headband are done in prusaslicer. yes I could have done them in Fusion 360 with the Emboss tool, but honestly this was way, way faster, and this took a good long while!

40 Likes

You really do come up with the cutest things for Jewish holidays.

12 Likes

It nice to know you are still having fun with all of your machines.

11 Likes

Great work! I have more than 4 questions on this, but I will hold them. Prusa XL - jealous!

11 Likes

We would also have accepted “Is this some kind of bust?”

Nice job, and I’m glad to hear the XL is holding up well with all of that printing time and thousands of tool changes. I’m thinking of upgrading my 2-tool to 5 eventually (they have the kit available now), but a rare pragmatic voice in the back of my head is saying maybe I should actually use the capabilities it has before adding more features I haven’t demonstrated I need.

13 Likes

Or, “Friday here and I’ve been busted”.

(Apologies to Jack Webb wherever he is for the awful pun :slight_smile: )

8 Likes

Those turned out great!

3 Likes

So far a 3D printer is a bust for me. Another 4k and I could not get that one working either and I wuld be busted.

4 Likes

Great Naked Gun 22 1/2 reference.

5 Likes

It’s just a better solution. The coolest ones I’ve made are mixed tpu-pla.

Inspired originally from this:

5 Likes

4CDFDEC1-F562-4FB1-A5F3-6423CA46CD7D

3 Likes

It is interesting how it does the painted on colors, they aren’t surface deep, they can go way into the object (I am sure there is a logic to how deep they need to be)

5 Likes