Your Opinion, Please

You’ve changed! But, only by a ‘hare’. :rofl:

13 Likes

If you have to use this dark of wood and it is decorative only (should be) you might want to consider masking and then spray painting.
Like everything, you gotta experiment.

5 Likes

:rofl: Just ba-hare-ly.

5 Likes

What was it Tom used to say?..“I like your bunny!”… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Boooo…hiss! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

@evansd2 , @Deleted , @Jules , @Xabbess, @markevans36301 , @kittski Thank you, all for your advice! I tried talking them into letting me buy the board, and suggested bamboo, but the in-law purchased it and had it sent to my house. I cringed when I opened the box and saw that it was the dark acacia. :confounded: I really have my doubts if it will show up enough but I’ll give it my best shot! :wink:

2 Likes

A very labour intensive option but an option nonetheless would be to hand trace the lettering, then score the lines.

To dissuade them from using the dark board I suggest you use a piece of scrap walnut ply or something similar in colour to this if you have it with some of the lettering to show how dark it will come out and therefore not be too visible. Pushing for a lighter wood base will probably make all the difference in this case however you end up lasering it!

1 Like

you can great GREAT cutting boards (bamboo) at Walmart $10-20

Jonathan

That’s a great idea. Thank you, @awebs76

1 Like

Ikea even cheaper.

Amazon cheaper still.

Someone once found a score at a dollar store too.

Those were the boards I had my eye on. Maybe I’ll just pick one up since they’re so cheap and I’ll just engrave both and send both of them to her. I check out the price of the acacia board before I engrave it, just in case that’s an expensive cutting board.

One word of warning about bamboo: engraves can come out quite variably in the same board.

There are lots of threads about this phenomenon, but here is one:

Search around for more:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=bamboo%20variable%20engrave

Really??? Wow! If I find some that cheap, I might stock up on a few to keep handy to make gifts. :wink:

Yep, I know exactly what you’re talking about. I had some trial and error with a few dishes that had bamboo lids where the majority of it was perfectly engraved but one small section that refused to burn very dark. I ended up using some black Rub 'n Buff over it, which worked well to make up the color difference.

Can you let me know what program you’re using to do this?

I often “vectorize” handwritten text to clean it up too. Here’s a quick example I did in Adobe Illustrator with @kittski’s cleaned bitmap.

forum recipe vectorized

3 Likes

Wow! That looks great. Thanks, @dan

1 Like

Corel Draw is my program of choice, but most any photo editing program can do the same thing. (They might use different command terms though.)

2 Likes

Have you ever thought about re-doing the recipe in a ‘handwritten font’
with just the name of the dish in her actual writing?

this way it still is ‘hers’ but much more readable

Jonathan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.