Zelda's leather collar

And here is a shot of how it normally looks when she is wearing it:

Note: it is loose enough that I can easily slide my whole hand under it. She’s just extra fluffy.

8 Likes

i really need to do one for Dany. I actually bought a few conchos to put on it already, but i need to buy some nice, thick black leather for the base.

1 Like

knowing that I would need something good and strong for my 80-lb pooch, I used a veg-tanned leather-belt blank. It was a good deal longer than I needed, but that ended up being good, since the first version of the loop that holds the buckle in place was too short. I made two more of that end section before getting it just right. For the final assembly I used red lock-tite in all of the chicago screws so as not to risk them coming loose over time.

3 Likes

i was thinking of getting a strap of heavy black latigo, something like this, in a 1.5 to 2" width. i might even double it up with a 1-1.5" strip on top, like we had for my old dog (we bought from Paco’s collars about 10 years ago).

still have it, but he was a mastiff mix w/a big neck and dany is a great dane with a much skinnier neck (and no cinder block skull to hold it on).

3 Likes

I used thick latigo. And it was pretty dang tough to cut.

I tapered the end where it goes through the buckle and then cut all of the stitching holes. The only way to get through was to set it in Illustrator right, make a copy for the opposite side in the same file, set it in a jig, cut, flip and cut again.

how thick did you use? i was looking at the 8-9 oz.

Something like .140”, I think. No idea of the weight. That’s like 10 oz, maybe?

1 Like