Zombie Kitties

This one was a request from my wife, when she saw me making Halloween decorations.

Twenty years ago, when we were shopping for a house in the area, we were accosted at dusk by some menacing-seeming (but probably friendly) cats that made us think of a zombie horde. We still remember the “Zombie Kitties”. Today, we enjoy watching the neighborhood cats having adventures in our yard in the tall grass. Hiding is a favorite game… though one of them is famously not very good at it, and will feel safe “hiding” behind a plant a third its size.

So, here is “Zombie kitties hiding in the grass and poking their heads out.”

Walnut, basswood, oak, mixed media.

61 Likes

Super cute!

12 Likes

This has to be my favorite Halloween project this year. I think its the eyes that draw my attention but the fact that I haven’t seen anything like it before is what I like the most. Very nice.

14 Likes

I agree, the eyes really draw you in. And I love the layered art.

11 Likes

They are so damn cute! This fills me with joy.

10 Likes

I love this!!

9 Likes

Reminds me of young cats years ago, chasing each other through tall grass–all you can see are the tail tips like periscopes above the waves. Then they play-fight, with a butt-wiggle announcing the impending pounce.

Your work is mesmer-eyes-ing.

11 Likes

Aww, cute!

8 Likes

That’s awesome!!!

8 Likes

Haha. OMG. This is the purr-fect Halloween decoration!

9 Likes

Outstanding! This is great. Having just finished a 15 hour adventure driving 3 cats from CT to NC yesterday, this sings to me :slight_smile:

Right now one is hiding very well amongst the unpacked boxes, another is hiding behind a chair that does not have a wall behind it and the third wanders around checking everything out. They’d be just the ones to hide badly in the grass :smiley:

11 Likes

Great job! Very polished.

8 Likes

I love your Zombie Kitties!!! What a fun piece!

8 Likes

Thanks everyone, glad you like it.

I went through a bunch of material on this one… took me a couple of practice runs before I got it right. I’m still new at this form. The hardest part, with my unsteady hands, was the millimeter-scale inlay for the claws.

I think I agree about the eyes being mesmerizing — entirely fortuitous, because that’s the one feature that didn’t come out as designed!

@jamesdhatch, I can’t imagine 15 hours in a car with 3 cats! Congratulations on making it there in one piece!

10 Likes

That’s a great story, but I also LOVE these cats. Really great design.

8 Likes

This is my favorite Halloween decoration ever. Of course, I love the cute cats but the wheat field is unique. I find that most scary creatures generally inhabit corn fields :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hehe, I didn’t think of that, but you’re right. I guess it’s not bad to extend a tradition… maybe next time it should be strawberries.

8 Likes

I like to use self gripping tweezers for the tiny bits. When you squeeze them they open. So, it holds things a little easier when tiny.

10 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve seen those but don’t have one. I’ll need to give them a try.

5 Likes

Oooh…yeah…and their little claws and teeth could be blood(strawberry) red!

5 Likes