Made another stacking mandala today

This one is 2ft x 1ft

And since I forgot to share some of my process/workflow on the last one I posted, here’s some screen shots of what my digital file looks like in creation and then preparation for the laser (sorry for the lo-res)

52 Likes

Wow very impressive

Love the piece. I wouldn’t mind trying one of these one day, maybe as a table top with glass on it. In terms of materials, I am counting 5-6 layers. so basically you need 5-6 full size blanks to cut the work piece out. That right?

1 Like

Love this idea!

Who ever said 2D can’t be 3D

2 Likes

Wow very cool…thanks for sharing …

1 Like

This must be kinda like the beauty bees see! Wonderful work - thanks for posting

2 Likes

Something I wanna try soon. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Yah including the back it is 7 layers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice! Definitely something I’m planning to do when my GF comes.

1 Like

What is it?

like what material? It’s 1/8th inch birch plywood :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Here’s what they look like after being sanded, stained, and assembled.

29 Likes

Smashing!

2 Likes

These are amazing and super inspiring! Great work!! I’d love to try something similar. How do you generate the original artwork plan so precisely? Illustrator Fu?

2 Likes

Tutorial from community post

This was from @Tony back mid December

1 Like

thanks, was just gonna link that post. Surprisingly easy to do in Illustrator if you have a vision and a rudimentary handle on how to use the program! :smiley:

Oh my gosh, @Tony has been holding out on me! D: This seems super easy. I’ve already passed this on to my woodworking friend to see how we can make it into a coffee table. :smiley:

The only problem with these is the massive amounts of material. That being said, if you could design it so your cut out piece from say the top was used two rows further down , then maybe you could save some. Thought I could also see some matched veneers doing this well.

Been looking at some wood turner forums and thinking about what it takes to make stacked ringed bowls from a board with minimal work. Turners cut the rings at an angle so that it can be put together using mimimal waste of wood and needing minimal material removal. Putting all these ideas together, given that the Glowforge can’t do the angle cuts needed, it seems that with three sheets of material, you could cut concentric rings with each successive sheet starting the ring offset by the amount you want the slope of the bowl. Do a glue up. Using a bowl sander tool smooth the inside of the bowl. Dusty, but no lathe needed.

2 Likes

Segment cutting has to do with a few things.
Less material and stability.
The main thing being stability, as the grain runs parallel to the circumference, so there is no expansion. (very stable).
I can see the GF being used to make segments.

1 Like