100 watt Chinese Laser

It’s all about speed (& with speed comes less charring so less cleanup). And for this machine it’s material size - the bed is huge which means you can cut single large pieces and not have to connect them together.

Speed is a very good thing if you are doing any real volume work. I’m helping out a friend whose submarine crew is having a reunion next month. I’m making LED table displays and commemorative plaques for the banquet. It takes 22 min per plaque (12m33s just for the sub logo bitmap engrave). I’m using a 60W machine and 18x24 inch bed.

So I’m looking at roughly 45 hours to cut them all. Moving to a 100 or 130W machine could cut that time almost in half. Big difference. Would be even more important if I were paying someone for laser time or if I had an employee doing it. As a volunteer job it’s just keeping me from mowing the lawn :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes, so far it is speed and depth. Last night I had to take a break from homework and used the machine to cut out a 4" diameter gear completely through 1/8 plexiglass and it took seconds to do it. I will post pictures later.

The machine has a bed that is roughly 3 feet deep and 4 feet wide. I haven’t checked the Z axis yet, but it looks like it will be around 2 1/2 feet deep. In reality I can cut material that is 4 feet wide and infinite feet long.

6 Likes

What software does it use? Something normal like Corel/AI/Inkscape or a custom piece of work that just gets in the way? I like Epilog’s approach where you get “print” drivers for real design software. The chinese lasers usually come with some rather limited design software that is supposed to make real design software unnecessary but just gets in the way.

1 Like

It came with RDworks which isn’t that great but workable. I have Corel 8 so I’ve been using it. It doesn’t have Mac software so I have had to use a PC.

1 Like

Well that thing certainly won’t fit on my desk.

3 Likes

Assuming this was the final stop? If so, hello, fellow Dallasite!

Actually, Oklahoma City was the last stop. The shipping company didn’t have a freight office in OKC so I had to drive down to pick it up.

Sorry I haven’t had time to post more pictures or videos. I’ve been so busy with homework.

I’ve decided to make a YouTube channel with some videos as I make them. Here’s a link

7 Likes

Interesting to see the tag on that machine says the laser power is 90-100W. Either it’s a custom tube and they put in whatever comes out of that manufacturing line in that range or the 100 is from overpowering the tube (like the “40W” ones are really only 30 or 32W tubes but can go to 40 when overpowered).

A 100W tube should be about 1450mm by about 80mm in diameter. Good Reci tubes can be about 5% smaller but those are about a grand all by themselves. Last forever though :slight_smile: If your tube is smaller it’s likely the 100W rating is overstated and represents an over powered scenario.

Still makes me jealous. :grinning:

Where in OKC?? My office is out on I-240 and Bryant!!

The tube is rated a 90w continuous and 108w peak. The tube is 1305mm in
length and 80mm in diameter. It definitely cuts a lot better than the 40w I
have used before.

I live near SW 104th and Penn.

1 Like

Dang…we should do lunch!!

With the room it looked like you had in the laser tube section when this one dies you should be able to get a 130W in there.

I’d love to have a 100 or 130 so my 400mm/s stuff can get done at 750 or 1000.

The 40 is good. The 60 is better. Bigger would be even better :slightly_smiling_face:

Winter project for me.

Yeah I could easily get a larger laser in there, but to be honest this 100w laser works great. I am going to start saving my money for either a fiber laser or a water jet. I want something that will cut metal easily. I have a plasma cutter, but it won’t do the detail that I want.

1 Like

I’d love to come by sometime and check out your business. I assume you do laser work at the business?

I mainly manufacture stencils and make-up for face and body painting, but have started doing more laser cut gifts…

1 Like

What do you use for the stencil material? Thin plastic?

That’s pretty cool. I have done some stencil making myself, but not with the laser. I have used a Silhouette Cameo for that and it works fairly well.

Subscribed!

Interested to see the ancillary equipment, water pump, exhaust fan etc.
It certainly is a beast.

Special order mylar…

1 Like