100 watt Chinese Laser

I am going to try to make videos of all the equipment and the setup once I get it in a permanent position. Right now it’s sitting in the middle of the garage which isn’t the ideal space.

I will try to shoot a video of the other equipment tomorrow just for you. [quote=“pomwah, post:39, topic:2539, full:true”]

Subscribed!

Interested to see the ancillary equipment, water pump, exhaust fan etc.
It certainly is a beast.
[/quote]

2 Likes

The other GF as in girlfriend is wanting to make wedding invitations with this one, but I want her to hold out for the GF in December.

Using that beast? Either she is planning on inviting thousands of people, has 5 minutes to make a few hundred invites, or wants to make invitations out of 1" thick acrylic panels! (I’m hoping for a video of the last one personally) :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Lol. The water cooler/pump and extractor fan look like “heavy-duty” items, I wonder what the power draw will be when you have the LASER at 70/80% and everything else running?

1 Like

I will measure the current Saturday when I get a chance.

1 Like

I made a video of the power requirements for the system. It uses a lot of power. With the laser idle is uses 910 watts and with the laser working it is about 1100 watts. I made of video of me measuring the current.

I found out that I screwed up. I was using the laser and I thought the mirrors were aligned correctly. Well, they weren’t. I was anxious to use it after waiting over a month. I learned my lesson, but the manufacturer is sending me a new lens for free via DHL. I screwed up, but they are fixing it for free.

Anyway, here is a link to my YouTube channel. I’m going to try to make a lot of videos once I learn more. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGElwMcUgS6dSS1Uhfq4CUg

4 Likes

Shouldn’t the lid be down for the laser to pulse? Is there no safety interlock on your machine? The K40s don’t have one but the bigger boys usually do.

1 Like

I asked them to not put one on. I notice almost everyone disasbles theirs. I close the lid when cutting material so the fan pulls out the smoke. I only have it open for filming, but I wear eye protection no matter what. I am going to make a mount for the GoPro soon so I can close the lid and make bigger cuts.

3 Likes

thank you for this as I had questions about the gf realistic usage vs the 600-800 for the laser that are on the faq seems crazy to me so this shows that the actual laser is more like 2:1 with tube rating not 20:1. Would be nice if you could also isolate components like fan and chiller seperate

1 Like

Sure I will check it out for you when I get a chance.

1 Like

I’m going to have to work out a way to measure the other devices separately. They run on 240v. The measurements may still have the laser in the equation, but i will turn off everything I can to try to get an accurate reading.

Brian

One thing about this system that I didn’t notice is that this system at rest uses more power than my entire hours. I’ve got to find some alternatives to bring down the power consumption.

4 Likes

If anyone is thinking of buying of these laser from China. Please contact me first. There are some things you need to to do protect yourself.

4 Likes

:scream: beastly…

ya that chiller and fan may draw allot. And for 220v I don’t know if there is a watts up but you can always try a clamp meter.

One thing I have wondered is if people have tried a good radiator setup with lasers. O know a chiller will get water cold but with the high air flow from exhaust that isn’t really hot why not put a radiator In line with that. Could save on complexity as well as electricity

1 Like

[quote=“Clone, post:54, topic:2539, full:true”]
you can always try a clamp meter. [/quote]

I think I have one at work I will try to find and bring home.

I haven’t seen a radiator setup before. I think the big user of power is the exhaust fan. I will try to do some measurements this week when I get a chance.

Amazon sells 220 volt power meters:

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Meter-100A-Volt-3-Wire/dp/B00GMZRXE8

100 amps should be enough for you, unless you are really into modding.

6 Likes

I will be happy to give you my shipping address so you can buy me one. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I have one of those meters. I’m not sure if it’s the exact same model, but close. It hooks up to a computer and you can watch the power metrics change in real time.

1 Like

Besides the general lax attitude towards ground wires, any words of wisdom? I ordered a few led floodlights a while back…they had a groundwire…inside the metal case it was just flush cut and not connected to anything. A laser cutter, especially with this kind of power is a whole other beast of safety concerns though.

2 Likes

The importing procedures are probably the biggest issue. There is a $5,000 fine is the paperwork isn’t filed in a timely manner.

1 Like